[SOLVED] My Webcam won't work after sleep.

CHOCO_with_NUTS

Commendable
Jan 12, 2021
I have a Sricam SH003 plug n' play webcam. It doesn't open or work after sleep, restart, or shutdown, it always need to be unplugged and plugged for it to work. I tried changing my power plan, uninstalling and reinstalling its drivers in device manager, and changing my privacy in settings. My webcam works perfectly fine in my phone. It doesn't need any drivers because it's plug n' play. My system is running at Win10 64-bit. I tried looking at different website for solutions but none of those worked. I hope someone can help me here. My webcam is detected by my device manager.

Reactions: SatansMistress*333*
Solution
try turning fast startup off? it might help with some of that behaviour. Maybe at restart/shutdown. It won't help with sleep I don't think... it might.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

it sounds like a driver problem even if device doesn't use one... windows is assigning it one.

what details is it showing in device manager? can you look on the driver tab in properties , click on driver details and tell me the file names, just the .sys names will help maybe...

have you updated chipset drivers for motherboard and/or bios as that might help too if device is newer than pc.

Colif

Win 11 Master
try turning fast startup off? it might help with some of that behaviour. Maybe at restart/shutdown. It won't help with sleep I don't think... it might.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

it sounds like a driver problem even if device doesn't use one... windows is assigning it one.

what details is it showing in device manager? can you look on the driver tab in properties , click on driver details and tell me the file names, just the .sys names will help maybe...

have you updated chipset drivers for motherboard and/or bios as that might help too if device is newer than pc.

Solution

CHOCO_with_NUTS

Commendable
Jan 12, 2021

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\UMDF\SecureUSBVideo.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\usbvideo.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\WdmCompanionFilter.sys

Yes, my BIOS and Chipset is up to date

Colif

Win 11 Master
those are all normal parts of windows when you plug in a webcam

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

seems some else can't have webcam connected at boot or it crashes windows. there didn't get an answer to question. it might just be the webcam. I know it works with phone but different software involved.

CHOCO_with_NUTS

Commendable
Jan 12, 2021

Found a new thread of problem. My webcam works fine after sleep, shutdown and restart, but it will take a long time before it opens. I hope you can help me.

CHOCO_with_NUTS

Commendable
Jan 12, 2021

Alright, after days of observing and testing my webcam and PC, webcam does work after restart and shutdown but my webcam won't really open after sleep, unless replugged. I tried Colif's suggestion of turning off fast startup and it worked (thx btw) after restart or shutdown, so the main issue here is the sleep mode.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it must be the device then if it works in 2 out of 3 situations.

I hardly use sleep, on my last PC there were drivers that just didn't like it and would bug out after, so far on new PC everything is new enough to cope with the few times PC has had to sleep. If I am not using PC I just turn it off. It doesn't need to stay on all night. Unless I am.

CHOCO_with_NUTS

Commendable
Jan 12, 2021
it must be the device then if it works in 2 out of 3 situations.

I hardly use sleep, on my last PC there were drivers that just didn't like it and would bug out after, so far on new PC everything is new enough to cope with the few times PC has had to sleep. If I am not using PC I just turn it off. It doesn't need to stay on all night. Unless I am.

Thanks for answering and solving my questions mate! :)

TRENDING THREADS