[SOLVED] My Whole House WiFi Setup... does it make sense?

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016
Hey everyone,

Months ago, I purchased a ASUS RT-N66R router. The range wasn't the greatest, but I was able to use some directional antennas to get acceptable signal in the basement where our tenant lives. I just came across someone on Craigslist selling a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 for $50 and think I should probably get it... I have sort of a crazy networking plan and wanted to run it by some people before committing.

The Nighthawk router would be up in my room where the current router is. I would have it plugged into a Linksys Wireless Ethernet Bridge with a directional antenna pointed to where the other wireless bridge would be in the basement. The bridge in the basement would be plugged into my current RT-N66R, which would now live in the basement. I would use that connection to turn the RT-N66R into an access point.

Does that make sense? I can explain it better or make a diagram if needed. I just really hope this is a viable strategy as I could use some good WiFi performance for fairly cheap. Thank you!

Solution
The best answer is an ethernet cable to the basement with a wifi access point in the basement. You then connect the R7000 to the Asus as a second wired router. The R7000 provides you isolation, and protection from the tenant.
You don't want a virus on a tenant host to corrupt YOUR network. You need to treat the tenant like they are the internet.

kanewolf

Titan
The best answer is an ethernet cable to the basement with a wifi access point in the basement. You then connect the R7000 to the Asus as a second wired router. The R7000 provides you isolation, and protection from the tenant.
You don't want a virus on a tenant host to corrupt YOUR network. You need to treat the tenant like they are the internet.

Solution

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016

Unfortunately, I can't run a cable down there... family members won't let me :p. That's why I'm trying to stick to this wireless idea.

And, I would be very surprised if our tenant ended up with a virus, but that is a good point... Besides putting her on a guest network, is there a good way to separate our connections? Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
If this is a paying tenant, then you should tell them that part of the cost of having a paying tenant is to get this cable run. Get a professional installer and write off the costs as a maintenance cost of the rental space, IMO.
Jury-rigged WIFI is not a sustainable network infrastructure IMO.

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016
If this is a paying tenant, then you should tell them that part of the cost of having a paying tenant is to get this cable run. Get a professional installer and write off the costs as a maintenance cost of the rental space, IMO.
Jury-rigged WIFI is not a sustainable network infrastructure IMO.

I like the idea, but it's just not something I can really do right now... In the future, for sure. No one is in a position to shell out the money for something like that right now. I'm just trying to go for something cheap but workable. For right now, will my idea mentioned in the first post suffice? Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
I have no idea if your idea will work. There is no reliable way to predict WIFI performance. Can the Asus be used as a wireless bridge? I believe so. BUT if in wireless bridge mode, can it ALSO have a local WIFI source? I don't know.
Test your proposed setup in a room with all the components together. If it works there, then you can move part of it down to the basement.

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016
I have no idea if your idea will work. There is no reliable way to predict WIFI performance. Can the Asus be used as a wireless bridge? I believe so. BUT if in wireless bridge mode, can it ALSO have a local WIFI source? I don't know.
Test your proposed setup in a room with all the components together. If it works there, then you can move part of it down to the basement.

Alright, thanks! I guess I'm going for it... just to clarify, I have two wireless bridges, each of which will be plugged into one of the routers. I was mainly trying to figure out if I should go ahead and pick up this new router or not. Thanks for your help!