Question My whole pc keeps lagging when i try to do normal cpu intensive work

sophialoren369

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
So i have build this pc 1 year ago. All the parts are new. I play cod mw a lot everyday for hours. Few days ago my pc started to lag very hard. First thing i noticed was my audio would shutter and my games fps would drop from 120 to 80. So i reinstalling my audio driver but it didn't fix it. So i updated my windows and tried again but it still lagged and shuttered. When it lags my entire pc would lag, even my mouse cursor would lag. So i thought it might be windows, and so i installed a fresh windows and it got worse. Now even with fresh windows my cpu can't handle the tasks like installing a driver or playing a game. It would just lag and shutter. Even when playing video on youtube. Sometime it would run like normal but then when doing something it would lag again. So i do not know whats the main reason for this issue. From Hwinfo software one thing i found is "power reporting deviation" after googling it says "A score UNDER 100% means that your motherboard is UNDER reporting your power consumption, which will make the CPU speed up, increasing the voltage and temperature." i have added a screenshot of it. After googling a lot i have also used "LatencyMon" Software and it showed some issues that my pc have. I tried disabling the audio drivers and it seemed to help with the latency and then another windows kernal driver or something would show up with high latency. So i have no idea what they means or how to fix them. I would appreciate a lot if someone could help me fix this issues. I can't use my pc as i used to few days ago. Please someone help! Thank you.
My system:
Ryzen 5 3600
Rtx 2060
B450 tomhawk max
512 gb transcend ssd
corsair cx650 bronze psu
16 gigs ram 3200 mhz
Screenshots of the results i found with hwinfo and LatencyMon
View: https://imgur.com/kUNJLCg

View: https://imgur.com/3x0Am0A

View: https://imgur.com/yXx6uoh

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
Can you download HWMonitor or Ryzen Master, and show us what the CPU statistics, ESPECIALLY the CPU temperature, look like while one of these slow downs and computer lag periods is actively happening?

One of your images shows a CPU temp, but I don't know what this application is and I don't know if you took these while a lag issue was occurring. Also, having a second opinion from another app might help.

At least 90% of the time when this happens, your CPU is overheating. It might need new thermal paste, or a new fan, or something else. I didn't notice what fan you use listed in your system list above. Can you add it there or let us know what it is in your next post?

sophialoren369

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
Can you download HWMonitor or Ryzen Master, and show us what the CPU statistics, ESPECIALLY the CPU temperature, look like while one of these slow downs and computer lag periods is actively happening?

One of your images shows a CPU temp, but I don't know what this application is and I don't know if you took these while a lag issue was occurring. Also, having a second opinion from another app might help.

At least 90% of the time when this happens, your CPU is overheating. It might need new thermal paste, or a new fan, or something else. I didn't notice what fan you use listed in your system list above. Can you add it there or let us know what it is in your next post?
my cpu cooler is a normal air cooler: thermaltake ux200. my cpu temp always stayed under 70 to 75 while gaming. So i dont think its thermal throttling. so this is how it started to happen. I was playing cod mw as other days and then suddenly my game started to lag and audio shuttering plus fps dropping. Hearing the audio shutters i thought it might be my audio driver so i reinstalled it few times. After installing and playing the game. half an hour later it would start again with all the lags, fps dropping and shuttering. Next day i decided to do fresh windows update but it made it worse. i cant do any cpu intensive work. Even my mouse dpi doesn't match up. i used to play with 900 dpi but now its very slow even in windows and had to use 1100 dpi. So its basically runs slow. no matter what its doing. The latency is too high.
View: https://imgur.com/r0lRLww