Question My whole processor came out. New motherboard?

May 22, 2019
I tried replacing my old CPU (AMD Ryzen 3 1200) with a new one (AMD Ryzen 7 2700) and when I tried removing the heat sink off the old processor it ripped the CPU out of its socket without lifting the relase lever. I put the new processor in and now the computer won't even run POST. I've checked both CPUs and there are no broken or missing pins on either of them. Should I replace the motherboard to fix this issue?

May 22, 2019
What is the make and model of your motherboard? Prior to your mishap, did you remember to update the BIOS to the latest version(if it's a 300 series chipset)?
The motherboard is an ASRock A320m-hdv. I did not update the BIOS(oops) but I did try putting the old CPU back in and it gave me the same issue.

When removing a heatsink, you turn it left and right and it will then slide off, but too late for that now
The A320 is a really bad motherboard if you are putting in a 2700
You do need to update the bios of ALL 3 series motherboard to use 2 series AMD
I think you need a new motherboard, B450 is what you need to buy
I would love to see photos on how you ripped out a CPU clamped in - can you upload some?

Reactions: TrisRao
Aug 15, 2018
If it doesn't POST even with the old CPU, then considering that CPU had such a forceful divorce from the mobo I'd put money on the mobo needing replacement. AM4 boards aren't too bad in price, B450 seems to be a pretty solid board for that CPU

On the bright side, nows the chance to go board shopping and find something that will accommodate newer or better hardware you may want to look into getting later on.

+1 for wanting a pic of the CPU socket on the current mobo

May 22, 2019
When removing a heatsink, you turn it left and right and it will then slide off, but too late for that now
The A320 is a really bad motherboard if you are putting in a 2700
You do need to update the bios of ALL 3 series motherboard to use 2 series AMD
I think you need a new motherboard, B450 is what you need to buy
I would love to see photos on how you ripped out a CPU clamped in - can you upload some?
I will as soon as I'm home lol I was shocked when the heat sink came off and the CPU was still attached. I really didn't even pull that hard. It just popped out. But lesson learned. And thank you for the advice on the motherboard. This is my first build and I'm slowly upgrading it. Looks like the motherboard is next haha

Reactions: ElectrO_90
May 22, 2019
If it doesn't POST even with the old CPU, then considering that CPU had such a forceful divorce from the mobo I'd put money on the mobo needing replacement. AM4 boards aren't too bad in price, B450 seems to be a pretty solid board for that CPU

On the bright side, nows the chance to go board shopping and find something that will accommodate newer or better hardware you may want to look into getting later on.

The funny thing is the socket looks and operates just fine, but I'm sure I absolutely destroyed something in there lol I'll post some pics in a bit.

May 22, 2019

Here's a link to the pictures I took. You can see the processor still attached to the heat sink and the lever is still down on the CPU socket, but all of it looks to be intact still.

One other thing you might try would be to clear the CMOS with the 1200 installed to see whether attempting to boot with the unsupported processor might have caused a setting to get messed up in the BIOS that prevents the 1200 from booting.

And of course verify that everything is plugged in correctly : P

Do any pins appear bent or broken on the processor? That image was a bit blurry, so it was difficult to tell.

May 22, 2019
One other thing you might try would be to clear the CMOS with the 1200 installed to see whether attempting to boot with the unsupported processor might have caused a setting to get messed up in the BIOS that prevents the 1200 from booting.

And of course verify that everything is plugged in correctly : P

Do any pins appear bent or broken on the processor? That image was a bit blurry, so it was difficult to tell.
Ya sorry not the best picture lol I've looked over both CPUs and all the pins are still there. None of them are bent either. So I'm optimistic they are both still functional. I've triple checked that everything is plugged in properly. As far as the CMOS goes should I just pull the battery to reset it?

Yeah, removing the CMOS battery should reset it. Just make sure the system is unplugged, then leave the battery out for maybe a few minutes before returning it.

There should also be a "Clear CMOS" jumper above the row of connectors near the bottom of the board that can be used to clear the settings. There's three pins, and you can pull the little plastic jumper off the first two and place it on the last two for some seconds, then pull it off again and return it to its original position, again, with the computer unplugged. Your motherboard manual should have more details on that.

Also, if you turn off the switch on your power supply, make sure that's turned back on before trying to boot again.