Question My Wi-Fi Card is Throttling My Speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2019
I tried eveything, literally, and i searched a lot here and web nothing work, so i thought it's time to ask directly, here is the issue.
I upgraded my internet speed from 5 mb/d 2 mb/u to a 16mb/d 2mb/u .
it's a big deal in my country, anyway, since then my laptop wifi is not getting the 16 mb/ at all it's sometimes 2 mb/ sometimes from 5mb/ 7mb max ..
while my other devices Mobile, Tablets and other pc is constant from 15.1 to 16 which is supposed to .
so i here is what i tried :
  1. I tried to tether my mobile wifi to Laptop using USB, and Voila its full 16 mb,
  2. I tried direct connection with Ethernet cable, and Voila its around 14 - 15 mb.
-
i thought to myself maybe its something to do with Wi-Fi- Card in laptob so i uninstalled it reinstalled and updated it multiple times, nothing .
I saw some people recommend registry editing app like TCP optimizer, i installed and tried, restarted PC but nada, its still 5 mb/ to 7 tops .
-
you might suggest its faulty card but i hardly doubt it .
-
p.s. i am not using anytype of vpn .
I am using windows 10 x64 ultimate .

Jul 13, 2019
Usually, a slower older laptop wifi card can hinder speeds.
What wifi card model does this laptop have?

I just upgraded my older laptops wifi card to a dual band one out of a newer netbook and wifi speed jumped up a lot.
It's DELL Laptob inspiron 1545
With Dell's 1397 Mini-Card Wifi
-
your quite right but i dont think its end game for me, because i used that laptob with same card on hotspot connection from my Mobile LTE and it jumped up to 15 mb/s while my Mobile LTE is 50 mb/s
can you relate the issue here? it never gets optimal speed from either Router or LTE . so werid .

Jul 13, 2019
SOLVED
For any future stumbler here what i did .
I opend Router page 192.168.1.1 for me and Reseted WiFi transmission From 802.11b/g/n to 802.11n then back to 802.11b/g/n
it restarted WiFi transmission and reconnected .
now working better than ever .
  • I Think that card was connected via 802.11b protocol or somthing which is limited at 5 mb/s
  • And by changing transmission to 802.11n Only it forced it to use it but my card only supports 802.11b/g .

Jul 13, 2019
SOLVED
For any future stumbler here what i did .
I opend Router page 192.168.1.1 for me and Reseted WiFi transmission From 802.11b/g/n to 802.11n then back to 802.11b/g/n
it restarted WiFi transmission and reconnected .
now working better than ever .
  • I Think that card was connected via 802.11b protocol or somthing which is limited at 5 mb/s
  • And by changing transmission to 802.11n Only it forced it to use it but my card only supports 802.11b/g .

Something comedy happens, restarted my pc and when i opend it it went back to its previous state of low bandwidth, i tried the above fix but no luck, any ideas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.