Question My Wifi adapters antenna is sideways instead of up and down.. is this okay?

So I have a NETGEAR AC1200 Wi-Fi USB Adapter High Gain Dual Band USB 3.0 (A6210-100PAS).

I have the adapter plugged into the front of my PC using USB 3 as the is the port closest to the door of my room. The wifi router box is downstairs below me 1 room over.

The adapter has a unfoldable antenna on it and since the USB Port is vertical, the antenna goes sideways, instead of up and down. (the rear usb ports are also vertical so it would be the same in the back).

However the adapter came with a stand that I would be able to make the adapters antenna go up and down instead of sideways.

My Questions:
  • How do wifi adapter antennas work on picking up a wifi signal?
  • Does it matter if the antenna is sideways?
  • Should I use the stand it came with to make the antenna go vertical instead of horizontal?

Last edited:

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
think of the radio waves like a donut around the antenna. above and below being the weakest signals. turn the antenna and the donut turns too.
L-over2-rad-pat-per.jpg

if you need the signal strong on the second floor sideways will radiate vertically. if you need the signal strong on the same level a vertical mount is preferred.

think of the radio waves like a donut around the antenna. above and below being the weakest signals. turn the antenna and the donut turns too.
L-over2-rad-pat-per.jpg

if you need the signal strong on the second floor sideways will radiate vertically. if you need the signal strong on the same level a vertical mount is preferred.

ty very much! do you know how many feet or yards the donut extends?

RF engineering antennas and receivers is somewhat a black art. But the above assessment is correct. Frequencies in thie range radiate in a toroid like circle around the antenna.

That said the S:N "Cleaness" of the RF chipset, background noise (Microwaves play havok with some frequencies), surrounding structures, and client antenna orientation can affect signal quality. The best way to tell is with a signal analyzer.

Fun fact: Radio broadcasters switch from a horizontal transmission antenna to a vertical one during rush hour. Why? Most car antennas are vertical which leads to greater reception radius. While home antennas tend to be horizontal. So to capture the most market during rush hour they "tune" their broadcast to reach more cars.

Reactions: Jason H.

TRENDING THREADS