Question My wifi dongle disconnects often

Jul 28, 2023
I was using TP links around the house to get better coverage but the upload/download was poor, since moving to a Wi-Fi USB dongle, it's 3x better, but it often disconnects. Sometimes I can have an hour and it's okay, but sometimes it will just disconnect, then reconnect after 30 seconds.

I've put it on the USB slots on the front (top) of the pc as it won't have as much interference. I've ordered a USB extender to allow me to put the Wi-Fi adapter further away, but I don't know if that will make much difference.

Furthermore, I know USB dongles aren't the best way to get reliable wifi but I didn't think it would do this. I've changed my settings in power management to never turn off usbs slots to save power, it's in performance mode as well.

I wanted to put a proper wifi adapter in the motherboard but I made the mistake of not considering it before buying this PC a few years ago, and there's no room to put one in because of the GPU is in the way. Also, I've considered buying a new motherboard to solve this issue but not sure if I'm confident enough to do that.

The reviews are all amazing for it, but there is 1 that does mention it sometimes disconnects, is this just how it is for usb dongles?

Any suggestions? Anything in BIOS worth changing or similar troubleshooting suggestions? Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
I was using TP links around the house to get better coverage but the upload/download was poor, since moving to a Wi-Fi USB dongle, it's 3x better, but it often disconnects. Sometimes I can have an hour and it's okay, but sometimes it will just disconnect, then reconnect after 30 seconds.

I've put it on the USB slots on the front (top) of the pc as it won't have as much interference. I've ordered a USB extender to allow me to put the Wi-Fi adapter further away, but I don't know if that will make much difference.

Furthermore, I know USB dongles aren't the best way to get reliable wifi but I didn't think it would do this. I've changed my settings in power management to never turn off usbs slots to save power, it's in performance mode as well.

I wanted to put a proper wifi adapter in the motherboard but I made the mistake of not considering it before buying this PC a few years ago, and there's no room to put one in because of the GPU is in the way. Also, I've considered buying a new motherboard to solve this issue but not sure if I'm confident enough to do that.

The reviews are all amazing for it, but there is 1 that does mention it sometimes disconnects, is this just how it is for usb dongles?

Any suggestions? Anything in BIOS worth changing or similar troubleshooting suggestions? Thanks!
Can you post a link to the specific hardware or provide a model number ?
Many times a USB adapter is shielded by the case. It is a big chunk of metal that generates a radio free shadow ...
If you have to use USB WIFI the best option is one with large antennas that comes with a USB stand so that you can move it away from the case. Something like this -- https://www.amazon.com/BrosTrend-1200Mbps-Adapter-Wireless-Antennas/dp/B01IEU7UZ0

Jul 28, 2023
Many times a USB adapter is shielded by the case. It is a big chunk of metal that generates a radio free shadow ...
If you have to use USB WIFI the best option is one with large antennas that comes with a USB stand so that you can move it away from the case. Something like this -- https://www.amazon.com/BrosTrend-1200Mbps-Adapter-Wireless-Antennas/dp/B01IEU7UZ0
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09ZNSQV54?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

That's what I went with, it seems similar to that one, but would you think that your one is better?

Jul 28, 2023
Also, would having a longer wire make much difference? so I can place antennas further from the PC?