[SOLVED] My wifi keeps cutting in and out

Rohit1234

Reputable
Mar 17, 2015
ISP: Xfinity
Router/Modem: Arris Surfboard SBG6700-AC
Connection speed: 18 mbps download 2 upload
So my wifi keeps cutting in and out over the past month. I've had two technicians come to my place. One thought it was the router/modem, so I tried a different modem but it still cuts out. When it cuts out its for all devices using either wifi or lan cable. I know I have a pretty low download speed, so I tried having only one device connected through lan cable, and tried watching videos and it still cut out like every 3 min. It's completely random when it starts cutting out. Sometimes, it will work for whole hours or a day. Other times it will cut out every 3 min. I remember the first technician said the router/modem restarted like 52 times that day. I tried using different coaxial cables and Ethernet cables. I went to At&t with intent of switching, and they said that wiring or something in my apartment complex is made for at&t fiber and this could be the reason why the internet keeps cutting out. Did not really know what this meant or if they were just trying to get me to switch. If anyone could provide some more insight, possible causes, or troubleshooting ideas that would be great. If you need any more info let me know. Thank you.

Solution
First review:
I've found you have to cool the thing yourself. Blow a fan on it, and you'll get better results. Next time it drops out, put both hands on it and see if the thing is VERY hot..

Ralston18

Titan
Router/modem restarted 52 times...

Check the wall outlet powering the router/modem. Does the power plug fit in tightly without any movement - plug or outlet?

Try other outlets: on the same circuit or on another circuit. Use extension cords if necessary to test different outlets.

First review:
I've found you have to cool the thing yourself. Blow a fan on it, and you'll get better results. Next time it drops out, put both hands on it and see if the thing is VERY hot..

Solution