Question My wifi ping gradually increases every month

Aug 25, 2024
wifi - jio fiber 30mbps plan
used to get around 35 ping in valorant, 28 in bgmi (pubgm) 40 in codm
now everything is increased, 48 in bgmi, 57 in codm
and worst of all, valorant, the ping is increasing by 10ms every two-three weeks, from 40 to 50, 50 to 60 and last week 60 to 69ms, is there anything i can do? i use cat 6 ethernet cable, i have contacted the contractor (they no nothing abt the ping, all they know is if they get customers they get money), asked them to replace the fiber router, ping saw a difference of 5-10ms, just for 1-2 days, everything got back to normal or the worse, can i get any help? i also tried dns proxies like 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8, nothing seems to help

The actual ping number does not matter as long as it is not really high say over 200ms. Online games like this are designed so someone that lives closer to the data center does not get a advantage. It in effect will artificially delay people who have very fast ping times so everyone has about the same internal to the game.

The key thing for online games is a very consistent ping time not so much what the exact value is.

I am confused you talk about wifi but you also say it is a fiber connection and you use a cat6 ethernet.

Wifi is affected by many thing mostly interference from device inside and outside your house. It tends to cause random ping spikes which greatly affects online games.

If you are using ethernet then the issue is not likely in your house. A ethernet cable does not really delay data.

You can do the standard tracert 8.8.8.8 or maybe the game server IP and try to see where the delay is.

The delay most the time is function of the distance the data must travel and the overhead of each router it must pass through. The path data takes though the internet is not always optimal since it depends on agreements between ISP for passing data say on undersea fibers. There really is nothing you can do about this and the ISP are not going to renegotiate agreement just for you. There is a slight chance that some segment is over utilized but again you can do nothing about that.

Really the only things you can do would be if you see large delays in hop 1 of the trace which is in your house and to a very small chance if you see larger delays in hop 2 which is the connection between your house and the ISP.

Aug 25, 2024
The actual ping number does not matter as long as it is not really high say over 200ms. Online games like this are designed so someone that lives closer to the data center does not get a advantage. It in effect will artificially delay people who have very fast ping times so everyone has about the same internal to the game.

The key thing for online games is a very consistent ping time not so much what the exact value is.

I am confused you talk about wifi but you also say it is a fiber connection and you use a cat6 ethernet.

Wifi is affected by many thing mostly interference from device inside and outside your house. It tends to cause random ping spikes which greatly affects online games.

If you are using ethernet then the issue is not likely in your house. A ethernet cable does not really delay data.

You can do the standard tracert 8.8.8.8 or maybe the game server IP and try to see where the delay is.

The delay most the time is function of the distance the data must travel and the overhead of each router it must pass through. The path data takes though the internet is not always optimal since it depends on agreements between ISP for passing data say on undersea fibers. There really is nothing you can do about this and the ISP are not going to renegotiate agreement just for you. There is a slight chance that some segment is over utilized but again you can do nothing about that.

Really the only things you can do would be if you see large delays in hop 1 of the trace which is in your house and to a very small chance if you see larger delays in hop 2 which is the connection between your house and the ISP.
well i wish it was as what you said, but it truly isnt, in valorant if your ping is above 50, u will be in disadvantage, i have tested this with my friends who live near the server, their pings are 3 and 14, both of them have advantage and i can vouch for it, even ping of 35 was so amazing and now i m at the double,

i use ethernet to connect it to my laptop, its compatible with fibre, all ethernet does is doesnt disconnect when i m in an isolated area, no ping improvement

also about the location factor, i m very well aware about it, but i used to get a good ping and it got gradually worse? how does that make sense?

should i contact the isp or just cope about "it is what it is" and get ready to have 80, 90 and soon 100 ping?

Ralston18

Titan
@Aadesh Kaswan

One thing to check is to ensure that the laptops is not running both the wireless network adapter and the wired network adapter at the same time.

There are other things that can be checked and done as well.

However, more information is needed:

Make and model information: modem, router, or modem/router if combined?

On your laptop run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the full results into a post here.

You can believe any garbage you want that you see on gamer forums but from a business stand point the game company wants as many customers as possible. The company will make much more money the more people that can play. They would lose all their customers if they guy that has a 3ms ping always wins. Pretty much they pick a number say 100ms and then put artificial delays in so everyone has the same delay inside the game code itself.

Your ISP barely even promises a maximum bandwidth they will do nothing about latency.

You are going to have to do the work for them. You need to run tracert and ping test to try to find the location that is causing the delays.
The delays are either some kind of network overload or the distance the signal must travel. The only one you and your ISP might be able to do anything about is the connection to your house. If you test and see it is less than say 10ms then all the other delay is someplace else maybe in another ISP network.

Your only option really to fix any ISP problem is to get a different ISP. Not a option for most people. A variation of this is to use a special VPN service. You in effect pay for a second virtual ISP on top of your ISP. This though is not magic and many times makes the connection slower.

Be very careful many of these gamer vpn companies are scams that promise a lot but do nothing. They only work when you can get a very fast connection to the vpn company server location and then that server location has a better path to the game company than your ISP does. If the problem is in your ISP it doesn't matter where you are connecting.

Mostly these type of services are used in asia where some ISP do not pay for access to the optimum undersea fiber paths. You can connect to a vpn service in a local city that does pay for the better fiber path.

BUT I suspect you are trying to blame the ping times for losing in a game based on a false theory that better ping gives a advantage