My wifi preferences unlock when I turn my computer off.

dane47_02

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
I have a 2010 Macbook Pro with mountain Lion and Comcast wifi.In te two years I haave had Comcast there have been numerous problems. Wires and modems have been replaced. I've changed my ip address and name and password more than once.I was getting little or no connection but that has been semi solved.At one point someone was using my wifi but a new ip address and password solved that.I have one residual problem and Comcast's answer is to charge me for a new modem and $100 for a house call.
My wifi preferences unlock when I turn my computer off.When I turn it on again,I have to relock the preferences before I can use my wifi.My modem,per Comcast,has only a single ip address not a dual.We have gone over all my computer and Comcast settings many times. Is there a simple solution other than switching to At@t?Is someone hooking into my wifi or am I initially hooking into someone else's?My computer has no virus or malware.Is there a setting I should change?Could I have a corrupted modem as Comcast says or is that just their way of saying they don;t know what the problem is?Should I be worrying that someone is hacking into my computer?There doesn't seem to be any evidence of that.Please help.My husband doesn't want to switch as it took 9 home visits to get everything working last time.Then they doubled their rates.

Ralston18

Titan
Is Comcast charging you a monthly fee for your modem? If so, it is their modem and if it is a problem they should replace it without charge.

That said, you really do need to provide more information:

What is the make and model of the modem?

Do you have a home network?

Do you know if you have a router? If you do have a router who has administrative rights? Router make and model?

How many wired and wireless devices do you have?

Where are you changing IP addresses and passwords?

What is the residual remaining problem?

Asking a lot I know but more information is necessary to determine what help, if any, may be possible. Thanks.

dane47_02

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

dane47_02

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
The Xfinity modem is an Arris,model TG862G/Ct.I have one Windows computer connected directly to the modem via a cable.I have one lap top using my wifi and rarely another one..Comcast tells me my windows computer doesn't show in their records.Another Comcast person changed my ip address by clicking on "renew dhcp lease.My modem is the only router I have. I used to use Airport extreme but disconnected that here and in Comcast's records,according to them.My residual problem is that my locked wifi preferences become unlocked when I turn my computer off. When I turn it on again,I have to relock them to get my wifi.I am concerned that I am hooking into someone else's wifi or they into mine. I've asked Comcast three times what they did when I reported someone using my wifi.They don't answer.Could the problem be a setting in Mountain lion. My Macbook pro is from 2010.
Yes,I know Comcast should replace the modem for free.Two wifi techs kept telling me I would have to pay. If I get angry enough,maybe I can get somewhere. I once got Gateway to fix my computer when they refused by writing all the board members.My spotty knowledge of computers comes from the 21 hours I spent with their help desk and the three home calls they made,prior to my sending the letters.My husband insists that switching to At@t is too much of a hassle.I'm working on that.