My Wifi speeds are crippling slow but good on my mobile phone.

Johnny Zenith

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
My Wifi speeds are crippling slow but good on my mobile phone. Why?

system.png

Speedtest reveals speeds all over the place. One second I have 3.84mbps (shit) and the next 1.46 etc?! My mobile phone always posts speeds of 9mbps.
Is my mobile using 5ghz but my PC 2.5? How do I use 5Ghz? There is another similar Wifi name with 5ghz but also one with the extension _EXT. Is this messing things up?

My router is downstairs but it worked for ages before. It is my landlords so I cannot mess around.

No I cannot use Ethernet and I tried uninstalling my wifi driver and installing again - with reboot. My adapter is up to date Windows tells me.

Thanks

Solution
You need to check if your NIC actually supports 5ghz before you bother messing with anything else. I got my PC in late 2016, but it has a Dell Wireless 1801 802.11b/g/n NIC which doesn't support 5 ghz. You need 802.11ac for 5 ghz.

In some cases the lower frequency can actually be better, because it passes through walls and such better, but that also means more interference and slower speeds.

Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System click on device manager and look at your network adapters

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
If the router has 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi, there will be two networks, usually with the same name, but appended with the number 2.4 or 5.0.

How fast is the physical line supposed to be? Is it ADSL? 5Mb, 20Mb?? How many people are sharing it??

If it has 5GHz, you can only use it if the wifi card/dongle you are using supports 5Ghz; if it doesnt, you would need a new one.

Typically though, if the signal is poor, the 2.4GHz should work better than the 5Ghz (2.4 goes through walls better).

What wifi signal strength do your PC and phone show when connected ??

Johnny Zenith

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
Oh right. Well signal strength is showing as high. I'll check today how fast it is. 3 people sharing.

So this morning my mobile phone gets 22 mbps download and my PC 1mbps

I'm not sure of I have fibre or what.

if it a usb dongle move it to the front of the case see if it being blocked. download intel chipset drivers make sure the usb hub drivers are fine. if your using a usb wifi look at the chipset used to make the dongle and see id the chipset vendor drivers is newer then the dongle maker. in your bios turn off onboard ethernet port. somethime windows can screw up with two ports on. if your using a pci card try another pci slot.

Johnny Zenith

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015

What I have noticed is that if I reinstall the device driver speeds get much better but nowhere near the mobile speeds. However after a few minutes the much better performance then gets worse again!

Johnny Zenith

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
Doesn't work.

I have tried installing a new device driver and at first I get increased speeds. Up to 6mbps instead of less than 1. Then after a few minutes it goes back down again or doesn't work at all.

Johnny Zenith

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
Now I'm getting angry. I connected to 5ghz as I have a dual band card. First I think great faster speeds. 8mbps up from 1mbps. Then a minute later back down to the super low speeds again.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
If possible, power down the router, leave for 30 seconds, then power up again. Sometimes they just need a power cycle to keep them going.

If that doesnt help; visualise the direct line path from your PC to the router; has anything changed, furniture moved etc.

Any new electrical equipment that might be blocking the path, or creating interference?

Jun 14, 2018
You need to check if your NIC actually supports 5ghz before you bother messing with anything else. I got my PC in late 2016, but it has a Dell Wireless 1801 802.11b/g/n NIC which doesn't support 5 ghz. You need 802.11ac for 5 ghz.

In some cases the lower frequency can actually be better, because it passes through walls and such better, but that also means more interference and slower speeds.

Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System click on device manager and look at your network adapters

Solution