My windows installation has its programs installed on another disk. Can I move it all effectively?

Solution

If you migrate/clone the current C drive to a larger drive, and it is successful...then yes.
It will still see whatever is on the current D drive as if nothing has happened.
The only difference is that your C drive is now magically larger.

joojoo1234

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009

Yes I was installing programs on another disk when asking where to install programs as I was running out of room for some time. Small SSD. Want to move it to a big one. I guess the moderator has answered. It is not a normal installation so no. I will have to reinstall the programs at the very least. Guess I will just go ahead move from 7 to 10. Thanks for the answer.

USAFRet

Titan

OK....having a small SSD and installing application on a different drive is very normal. I used to do that with a small SSD.
As long as you installed them there.

But no...you can't just move them to some other place later.

joojoo1234

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Well then, If I image the C to a larger ssd will the new successful boot on a larger C drive find the data of those applications installed on my D? It should as long as I still have the applications on the same D drive and not changing it.... correct?

USAFRet

Titan

If you migrate/clone the current C drive to a larger drive, and it is successful...then yes.
It will still see whatever is on the current D drive as if nothing has happened.
The only difference is that your C drive is now magically larger.

Solution