Question My Windows services can't access Internet.

Mar 8, 2021
I did a bunch of registry, group policy edits to stop spying / windows updates and etc years ago. OS works fine. But now I have to install Xbox app. But sadly, non of my Windows services, (app store, built in apps etc) can't connect to the internet. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks.

DSzymborski

Titan
I don't think anyone's going to have any idea how to fix unknown registry changes. Many things can cause this behavior. It's a bit like calling Poison Control but not being able to report anything more specific than a stomach ache.

Honestly, the only likely successful operation will be a full, fresh install of Windows. Yeah, the spying sucks, but if you're on the internet at all, any company already has a treasure trove of data about you and your behavior. Using the Xbox app is not consistent with a goal of staying slightly more off-grid; you'll have to choose what's more important to you.

Reactions: KatakuriChan
Mar 8, 2021
I don't think anyone's going to have any idea how to fix unknown registry changes. Many things can cause this behavior. It's a bit like calling Poison Control but not being able to report anything more specific than a stomach ache.

Honestly, the only likely successful operation will be a full, fresh install of Windows. Yeah, the spying sucks, but if you're on the internet at all, any company already has a treasure trove of data about you and your behavior. Using the Xbox app is not consistent with a goal of staying slightly more off-grid; you'll have to choose what's more important to you.
True. But there shouldn't be that many crucial entries/policies related to blocking app store.

people used to run tools to block windows from seeing microsoft activation servers. Most often this was for bootleg copies of windows that had a pirate license key. To fix it you have to force a windows update that will over write the files and remove the hack. Problem is that then windows then started the nag process to get you to get a key. I am not sure what windows does now.

So you can make a windows usb key and boot off it and attempt to do a upgrade to a newer build of windows and the hacks will be removed but since it is a upgrade you will still have your programs installed. Otherwise you would just do a reinstall with a known good windows image.

you may also find that starting a cmd.exe as an admin then
running
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

will also remove the hacks

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS