My Z77 motherboard won't turn on?

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Hey,

So I bought a new MSI Z77 mpower motherboard and I am using my 750 watt power supply from my previous pc. It has a 20pin power connector which I connected to motherboard but pressing the power button on the motherboard it still doesnt turn on, the motherboard is a 24pin power socket, does it require a 24pin power connector?

I would guess so, but you should take a read through your manual and see what it says.

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

I looked through the booklet but it doesn't say anywhere requires a 20pin or 24pin power connector ect

bucknutty

Distinguished
Normally the 20 pin connector will work... Did you remember to plug in the extra 4 or 8 pin power wire that is normally in the top left of the board, by the cpu socket?

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

Yes that is connected, even if that wasnt connected wouldnt it still be able to turn on just by 20pin power connector?

bucknutty

Distinguished
With out that extra cpu power connector your will get the leds to light, the fans might spin, but the cpu will not get power. It wont actaully do anything.

Does the mother board do anything? Do the leds light up. does the fan spin. Does the lights on the keyboard light up? Do you get any beeps?

Other thoughts make sure your CPU is listed as compatible for your board.

You can get a 20 pin to 24 pin adapter if you like. I got one for around $2.00 on ebay. My board worked with only the 20 pin, but I got the adapter because it was cheap and looked like a good idea.

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

Nothing turns on, no fans, no lights ect. I got the 20pin connected and 8pin still nothing. Could the motherboard be faulty? And yes CPU does work with this motherboard.

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Yes motherboard does have a power button, which doesn't need to be connected to anything because it is on the motherboard. When I press it nothing happens. I think board is faulty.

bucknutty

Distinguished
Since you get nothing, no power led no beeps, it suggests the issue is either board or the PSU. Even with no CPU at all the board would still have a power led lit up.

Is the board mounted in a case. Some times a stand off in the wrong spot can short something on the bottom of the board preventing it from powering up.

Does the PSU have a switch on the back... Could you have bumped that to the off position?

I would go through this list step by step.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

I would test the PSU with another board, and then I would test the z77 board with another PSU.

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

If the 4 or 8 pin cpu power connection isnt in the pc can't boot can it?

bucknutty

Distinguished
Correct if you dont have that "CPU power connector" plugged in then you will get nothing. You need at least 20 pins on the main connector and 4 pins on the second connector thats normally in the top left of the board.

TRENDING THREADS