MyDigitalSSD BPX M.2 PCI Express 3.0 x4 runs VERY hot - how to cool

TedTom_west

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017
My “MyDigitalSSD BPX M.2 PCI Express 3.0 x4 (PCIe 480GB” drive runs very, very, very h-o-t.
= = = = =
Is there a heatsink that I can attach to the SSD M.2 PCI express device? Is there another option?
= = = = =
My desktop has an ASUS Prime Z270-K mobo with an I5-2700K (no overclocking) and a NVIDIA GeForce 1060 6gb card.
- - - -
The SSD card sits on the mobo between the CPU and the graphics card.
- - - -
There is a case fan at the back evacuating the output of the Cryorig H5 Ultimate CR-H5B Heatsink with two XF140 Fans (push & pull).
- - - -
There is a large case fan in the side panel blowing air down onto the graphics card and the SSD card.
- - - -
On top of the case, I have another fan exhausting air.
- - - -
And I have fan at the bottom front of the case blowing air into the case.
- - - -
Thanks in advance.

Solution
140F is 60C.
Warmer than I'd like, but not crucially so.

A lot of the m.2 drives run warm due to not enough airflow.
Do you have anything blowing air directly on that area?

TedTom_west

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017

- - -
Hey great idea, I should have thought of a heatsink in lieu of fans. My forehead is flat now that I slapped myself.
- - -
You r response prompted another thought: I'll contact MyDigitalSSD and ask which heatsink they recommend.with the 480 Gb SSD.
- - -
Assuming they answer next week, I'll post the reply from the manufacturer.
- - -
Regards & thanks.

TedTom_west

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017

Yup, a big 140mm x 140 mm fan attached to the perforated side panel. It is s-o big that air blows onto the graphics card and and the mobo mounted SSD.

Thanks again.

USAFRet

Titan

Well...the above linked heatsink may do something.
Or maybe not.

But that temp is not critically high.

TedTom_west

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017
But that temp is not critically high.[/quotemsg]
= = = =
Thanks, your reply prompted to revisit the manufacturer's specifications. I found
Operation Temperature: 0 to 70°C

So it seem that I have a long way to go to top out at 70° Celsius as it is now hovering around 40° Celsius
= = = =
Regards,
Ted :)

TedTom_west

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017
OK...case closed. The MyDigital folks replied:

Not to worry, our drive definitely runs hot, but the main reason for that is because we put the heat sensor on the controller itself whereas our competition put the sensor further away on the PCB. You will not need to worry unless the drive breaks the 120c mark.

Thanks all for your own replies.
:bounce:

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I have three of these in use (240GB) & grabbed another recently because Amazon has these on promo for $69.99.

To cool these, I purchased a Sintech PCIe 3.0 x4 adapter with fan for each one. Had to replace one fan, these are low in cost, 4 50x50x10mm ball bearing ones for $12.88 shipped. Here's the adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/Sintech-M-Key-Samsung-SM951-PM951/dp/B01NAQPE6J/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540448277&sr=8-1&keywords=Sintech+PCIe+3.0+x4+adapter

There's other Phison E7 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe cards that can benefit also. I installed these drives in the 2nd GPU slot in each PC. One may think that would half the GPU power, yet really the effect in minimal. Plus regardless of brand of NVMe SSD, I always install like this, these will last much longer than on a hot MB. mSATA had the same issue with heat, maybe why these weren't featured for long, usually as a small 32 to 64GB serving as a cache to a 2TB HDD by major OEM's.

Once I used these fans, temps dipped from 70C to a far more tolerable 45C under load. Just make sure the knob for the fan controller is set to wide open, will dissipate heat fast.

There's no need to fear MyDigitalSSD products, if needed, warranty service is much faster than Samsung, this is a US based outfit.

Cat

TedTom_west

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017

TedTom_west

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017
Thanks for the feedback. In the meantime, I took two cardboard tubes (about 2" in diameter) and placed them between the GPU and the CPU cooler resting on the SSD. Then, I have a case fan blowing down atop the SSD card. The tubes are notched at the bottom to vent the hot air. Seems to work OK. Temps are about 50 centigrade. Regards.