Myst 4 revelation: crash to desktop - help...

despite having an nvidia gforce 4 w/ 128 megs with the latest driver,
the latest 90c DX (both freshly reinstalled), lots of HD space, win2K
system w/ sp4, etc., the game crashes to desktop immediately after
the opening movies. There is an arrow cursor stuck at the top during
cyan and ubi opening movies as well. I've installed the 1.01 patch
fwiw, but still no go. I've unisntalled and reinstalled as well.
Frustrating. Any ideas?

One idea may be to reinstall the video drivers off the M4 DVD. I had a
similar problem, not only with the immediate crash to the desktop, but other
similar problems throughout the game in certain puzzles.

Once I installed the drivers off the DVD, my problems were resolved. It may
or may not work for you, but definitely worth a shot.

Scott
"jankin" <chagin_one@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> despite having an nvidia gforce 4 w/ 128 megs with the latest driver,
> the latest 90c DX (both freshly reinstalled), lots of HD space, win2K
> system w/ sp4, etc., the game crashes to desktop immediately after
> the opening movies. There is an arrow cursor stuck at the top during
> cyan and ubi opening movies as well. I've installed the 1.01 patch
> fwiw, but still no go. I've unisntalled and reinstalled as well.
> Frustrating. Any ideas?

In article <_rwid.3686$8i.2377@trnddc04>, ScottWare@verizon.net
says...
> One idea may be to reinstall the video drivers off the M4 DVD. I had a
> similar problem, not only with the immediate crash to the desktop, but other
> similar problems throughout the game in certain puzzles.

Well, talking with ubisoft support and mucking with my system, it
seems that one problem might be directX and a conflict with
NetMeeting, which DX claims prevents 3D hardware acceleration.
Anyone know anyting about NetMeeting? I have been unable to root it
out of my system, despite admin mode command prompt deletes of the
netmeeting folder contents.