Myst IV: Serinia question

[spoilers!]

So I'm stuck with on Serinia, or actually Dream, I guess. I've made it
to Dream for the first time, and I'm confronted with multicolored cloud
things. I'm wondering if there's a logical way to solve the puzzle or
if you just have to spend large quantities of time getting it right by
trial-and-error. If there isn't a logical way, is there some kind of
systematic technique that works to get the puzzle solved? I'm looking
for hints, rather than answers to the puzzle at the moment.

There is a systematic technique. A good hint website is:
http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/hints/myst4/

As a starter, your spirit guide told you what color you want to turn the
cloud things. Now, figure out what makes them morph back when you don't
want them to.

In article <1113351547.005212.223510@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"Rocka-t-t" <erockett@uni.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> So I'm stuck with on Serinia, or actually Dream, I guess. I've made it
> to Dream for the first time, and I'm confronted with multicolored cloud
> things. I'm wondering if there's a logical way to solve the puzzle or
> if you just have to spend large quantities of time getting it right by
> trial-and-error. If there isn't a logical way, is there some kind of
> systematic technique that works to get the puzzle solved? I'm looking
> for hints, rather than answers to the puzzle at the moment.

grey

"Rocka-t-t" <erockett@uni.uiuc.edu> wrote in message
> [spoilers!]
>

> So I'm stuck with on Serinia, or actually Dream, I guess. I've made it
> to Dream for the first time, and I'm confronted with multicolored cloud
> things. I'm wondering if there's a logical way to solve the puzzle or
> if you just have to spend large quantities of time getting it right by
> trial-and-error. If there isn't a logical way, is there some kind of
> systematic technique that works to get the puzzle solved? I'm looking
> for hints, rather than answers to the puzzle at the moment.

There is a logic to it as nothing in Myst is ever trial-and-error. This
cloud puzzle is quite hard. As for a hint.... how about "you may find
yourself going in circles to solve this one"

Graham