Myst Online Alive, Going Open-Source

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

OMG that's awesome news! I loved the Myst series games and books. I can't wait to see what developers come up with!! Open source FTW!

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
[citation][nom]aitrus00[/nom]OMG that's awesome news! I loved the Myst series games and books. I can't wait to see what developers come up with!! Open source FTW![/citation]

I didn't read the books but I really loved the first few games, although the only two I finished completely were Myst 1 and Myst 2. It's been so long sometimes I wish I could relive those moments, maybe the new adventure will open the door for many new experiences. I am probably going to check it out... Hopefully in stunning 3D.

fstrthnu

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
How the heck would a multiplayer (much less a MMO) puzzle game work? Give hints to each other? Collaborate on things? Race against each other to clear maps? For something like Myst, this sounds very strange

pclee

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
[citation][nom]fstrthnu[/nom]How the heck would a multiplayer (much less a MMO) puzzle game work? Give hints to each other? Collaborate on things? Race against each other to clear maps? For something like Myst, this sounds very strange[/citation]

MMOs like this are already very popular in China. Many of them are races to clear maps.

G

Nice that it is so far now; I have not followed Myst or Cyan Worlds, but I remember reading their intentions "years"(?) ago.

Funny thing if you start reading on top of the homepage of openuru.org:
"Website Copyright 2010-2011 OpenUru.org"
is the first line I'm greeted with.

For the rest there's a GPLv3 logo to be found deeper in the site, but no Creative Commons or other copyleft scheme for storylines.

G

> How the heck would a multiplayer (much less a MMO) puzzle
> game work? Give hints to each other? Collaborate on things?
> Race against each other to clear maps? For something like
> Myst, this sounds very strange

Read the books (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Myst-Reader/Robyn-Miller/e/9781401382216/?itm=11&USRI=myst). The ability to create links to alternate worlds (and the ability in the game, I'm assuming, to create those words themselves) is quite compelling.

G

ha suckers i had this thing downloaded forever and let me tell you, it's scary as hell. not so much the game, but the social aspect of it. you never know who you'll run into... and if you don't run into any other player, there's still the AI characters... it's just an incredible experience. please help support these coders.

G

I'd just want to clarify that www.openuru.org is NOT a Cyan Worlds' website, but is a fan's website. So you won't find there everything about the game, how to build maps, storyline, etc. That's just the central place for getting the source codes. Everything else is best found on the MOUL forums: http://rel.to/moulforum
And the place where many Uru programmers are: http://rel.to/gow

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS