Question Mysterious black screen of death after other issues, is it related?

Aug 21, 2022
Hi everyone, I'm a bit stumped, I've been using my 2015 Asus laptop x551c without issues for years, only very infrequently, it's probably only been used for 50 hours each year on average, so still looks brand new!

It's had a lot of updates recently, and I've noticed my email client that always worked great (thunderbird) suddenly as of a few weeks ago crashes non stop and takes an eternity to open, the computer has also been very slow to shut down lately.

I've no idea if this is at all related to today's issue, which seems a big one... I switch it on and the screen does nothing, not even the Asus logo. I've plugged it into a TV and rolled it back to a save point a month ago, but it doesn't seem to have helped(not even with the Thunderbird email issue, interestingly) .
I held the power key down for 60 seconds to see if that helped to discharge it and didn't seem to do a thing either.

Any ideas or advice would be amazing, very stressed with it all! Thanks, Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone, I'm a bit stumped, I've been using my 2015 Asus laptop x551c without issues for years, only very infrequently, it's probably only been used for 50 hours each year on average, so still looks brand new!

It's had a lot of updates recently, and I've noticed my email client that always worked great (thunderbird) suddenly as of a few weeks ago crashes non stop and takes an eternity to open, the computer has also been very slow to shut down lately.

I've no idea if this is at all related to today's issue, which seems a big one... I switch it on and the screen does nothing, not even the Asus logo. I've plugged it into a TV and rolled it back to a save point a month ago, but it doesn't seem to have helped(not even with the Thunderbird email issue, interestingly) .
I held the power key down for 60 seconds to see if that helped to discharge it and didn't seem to do a thing either.

Any ideas or advice would be amazing, very stressed with it all! Thanks, Mark
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/X551CA/X551CAAS211.zip latest bios

What vs of windows are you running win7 win8 win10?

Aug 21, 2022
I've realised it's the back light, held a torch up to the screen and can just make out my files. Thanks so much for all your help, probably will get a cheap screen and use it whilst I save up for a new machine!