Mar 12, 2020
Hi!
I have an issue thats been driving me crazy over the years which is that while gaming all screens turn black or a single color and the computer becomes unresponsive. Thus far the only way to fix it has been to restart the computer by figuratively choking it with the power button. From the beginning it was just sometimes in GW2 roughly 4 years ago but now its basically in every game.

Ive roamed all manner of forums and has of yet not managed to find something that works, but my computer knowledge is that of a happy (relatively speaking) amateur so basically need help with how to figure out whats wrong and how to trouble shoot it, It leaves no crash report, nothing in the event viewer, tied to specific places in games but generally not "high performance" places.

Ive checked memories, GPU with furmark, as far as i can tell the voltages seems okey according to BIOS, checked the memories with Memtest, done a fresh install of Windows 10 and all drivers, updated the BIOS for the mother card, all with no error or effect.

The only thing that seems to make a real difference thus far is to switch the scaling mode/on in Nvidia control panel, (Full-screen works best, No scaling crashes nearly instantly and asking to override game settings crashes it and in addition make a fan go haywire inside the computer).

I do have a place in a game (FO4) that reliably causes the issue so got that going for me so any help with how to trouble shoot it or ideas would be appreciated (Also poor so cant really afford new hardware).

Thanks in advance and first time poster so hope i dont break any rules of etiquette!

Mar 12, 2020
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

Motherboard: AsusTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V (LGA1155)
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3.50GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 679MHZ(9-9-9-27)
Storage:
119GB Samsung SSD 830 Series (SATA (SSD))
931GB Seagate ST10000DM003-9YN162 (SATA )
(Above learned from Speccy)
PSU: Silver Power 500W Model No. SP-SS500

Monitors
BenQ G2420HDB (1920x1080@60Hz)
Samsung (1920x1080@30Hz) (Originally a TV)
Samsung SyncMaster (1280x1024@60Hz)

Its a motley collection of monitors but the crashes happens with just one active too regardless of monitor.