Jan 31, 2021
Windows 10
Intel i4700hq
8 GB RAM

For about a year I had this problem regarding my laptop, which no longer has a battery

Every time there was a power outage it would turn off, and whenever I started used it again it would BSOD (usually critical process died)

However, the BSOD was not instant and it took a bit for it to happen. a couple minutes or so. I could delay the time for the crash with sfc, dism, or even a chkdsk I would argue that keeping the pc busy kept it from reaching whatever made it crash

Sometimes, when booting, the pc would not recognize C: but would try to boot me on F:, since there was no OS there all I could do is the cmd. diskpart also didn't recognize C:. I have changed the position of the drives to see if the SATA is at fault, same thing happened to C:. Bios sometimes helps to solve this.

Bsod file usually claims ntoskrnl is at fault

I have tried:
  • setting the page file to 0 and rebooting
  • sfc, chkdsk, dism
  • fixing boot paths when I was unable to boot windows
  • driver update
  • windows safe mode
  • ram check 8 cycles
-pc rest for several hours

The weird thing is: I think the problem solves itself eventually but sometimes my solutions work and other times they dont

Edit:
I got 2 drives. A SSD as C: and a hard drive with partitions F: and G:
The hard drive came with the machine, I installed the SSD after 4 years or so and just migrated the data with some program

The laptop power outage is due to general power outages since all lights turn off, even if just for a couple seconds.
My battery doesn't work anymore and I can't seem to find a replacement

Something I just noticed, if I force BIOS to boot the SSD C: drive, it will boot loop with the manufacturer logo and a black screen. If I force BIOS to boot the hard drive, windows starts normally. Hopefully someone knows why that might happen

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full laptop hardware specs and OS information.

Clarify the installed drives: one or two? C: and F: (?) Is F: possibly an optical drive?

The power outages are noted by all devices, lights, etc. going off - correct? Or maybe limited to just one particular electrical circuit or even a single outlet.

Any other devices having or experiencing power problems?

By "no battery" you mean that the laptop only runs when plugged into an electrical outlet. And no battery is physically installed/present - correct?

When power is lost as you describe then Windows does not have time to do the necessary preparations for the next boot up. That is problematic just in itself.

Plus OS files, applications, and data are likely to be corrupted which is why sfc, dism, etc. must be continually run to repair the damage.

The root cause is likely power related. Why no battery in the laptop? And do you have access to another power adapter to test on the laptop.

Could be that the existing adapter is faulty to some extent.

Reactions: PuzzledUser1979lap
Jan 31, 2021
Update your post to include full laptop hardware specs and OS information.

Clarify the installed drives: one or two? C: and F: (?) Is F: possibly an optical drive?

The power outages are noted by all devices, lights, etc. going off - correct? Or maybe limited to just one particular electrical circuit or even a single outlet.

Any other devices having or experiencing power problems?

By "no battery" you mean that the laptop only runs when plugged into an electrical outlet. And no battery is physically installed/present - correct?

When power is lost as you describe then Windows does not have time to do the necessary preparations for the next boot up. That is problematic just in itself.

Plus OS files, applications, and data are likely to be corrupted which is why sfc, dism, etc. must be continually run to repair the damage.

The root cause is likely power related. Why no battery in the laptop? And do you have access to another power adapter to test on the laptop.

Could be that the existing adapter is faulty to some extent.
Edited OG post, thanks for the reply

TRENDING THREADS