Mysterious H drive named SYSTEM

fewqo

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
I saw a mysterious H drive named SYSTEM appear on file explorer. I tried opening it but it gave me an access denied pop up box. It instructs me to go to the security tab of the drives properties but there's no security tab in the window. I checked disk manager and I don't see the h drive. It had a used space of 49mb out of 250mb I think. The size is close to my Samsung 840 evo over provision allocation which is 46mb. So I tried disabling it. The h drive was still there so I enabled samsungs over provision feature. I hard restarted my desktop and the h drive disappeared. I checked disk manager and did a "wmic localdisk get name" command on cmd and I didn't see it there either. Does I anyone think it could be a virus? I have Windows 10 btw.

[edit]
Want to note that I hard restarted because there was a Windows update. Wasn't sure if a virus could mask itself as a Windows update so I hard restarted. First time I restarted i saw the Windows updating screen 100% do not shut down comp blue screen. I hard restarted again after a couple of minutes of it not doing anything. Second time Windows booted up the h drive was gone.

Solution
Hey there, fewqo.

Sounds like for some reason your system partition had a letter assigned to it. Unfortunately I don't know what was the cause for that let alone why it disappeared all on its own. Perhaps it might have been some sort of glitch due to the Win update. However, if you think you might have a infected your system with a virus, I'd recommend that you update your antivirus program's database and make a full scan to see if there are any threats.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD
Hey there, fewqo.

Sounds like for some reason your system partition had a letter assigned to it. Unfortunately I don't know what was the cause for that let alone why it disappeared all on its own. Perhaps it might have been some sort of glitch due to the Win update. However, if you think you might have a infected your system with a virus, I'd recommend that you update your antivirus program's database and make a full scan to see if there are any threats.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

TRENDING THREADS