Question Mysterious Hard Drive issue.

Feb 26, 2021
Hi ,

Recently I bought a new pc with a fresh hard drive and SSD , I installed my old hard drive into my pc however when I turned it on although it recognised my old hard drive and I could open my files and such I couldnt download things to my old hard drive but this didnt bother me as it was already full and had all the data I needed on it anyways.

Last week however whilst downloading something in the background I noticed my PC had blue screened and after the BSOD subsided I had a "enter boot device error" and so I went into my BIOS and rearranged the boot priorities.

Strangely enough when I reloaded my pc the startup time was very long Im talking like 20 minutes and when my pc finally booted the PC was like how it was with my old computer , I could now access the hard drive that I couldnt download to its almost like my old hard drive had become the main drive now.

Conversely my new hard drive which was still detected shares the issue that my old HDD had in which I can't download to it. This all is very mysterious to me and I have no idea what is going on. Furthermore! My SSD card is not detected and I am pretty sure that contains boot startup information which is most likely why my PC boots slow but this is just a theory.

What is going on here and how do I fix this , I want fast bootup times as my pc boots up slow and is generally slower for some reason. If I disconnect my hard drives my pc will only boot up with my old hard drive .

Why is this? Why can my new hard drive not boot up solo? And why does my SSD not show in my BIOS or storage , it is screwed unto the motherboard so it cant be faulty connection. I know this is all confusing and its been very confusing for me aswell.

I am stumped as to how this has all happened and how the issue even started....

Thanks?

[Moderator edit to break up a single paragraph format.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 13, 2021
I had the same issue with a new PC and so did a friend recently. We both have the same brand motherboards too. There may be a shorter way but I like to do 1 thing at a time to avoid any issues. This worked for me twice.

A) Shut down the PC and remove/disconnect the 'OLD' Hard Drive.
B) Reboot with Only the New SSD with Windows on it
(Verifying it boots with new SD and Windows)
C) Shut down and restart into the BIOS
(Can be any key F10, F2, F12, F1, or DEL to boot into BIOS )
D) Set the BOOT order... Make the SSD the 1st boot device!
(save/accept changes and startup PC)
E) After starting PC up make sure loads windows fine.
F) Go to Device Manager under Disk Drives make sure you see your
correct SSD is listed
G) Shut down and now Add/reconnect the Old HDD
H) Restart - It should boot at the same speed as the prior boot,
SSD are so much faster so you will notice if it boots off the old HDD.

I) Under 'This PC' where you see your drives listed
the C: Drive should be the new SSD.

--------------------------
Extra things I take a peek out
  1. Go to Device Manager and Disk Drives. Find the New SSD and Right click and select Properties.'
  2. Now Press the 'Populate' Box
  3. You should see info that shows its the C;Drive and type, like NVME or SATA for theSSD . It shoud match what you have

Hey with a new PC also check your Memory speed in the BIOS and make sure it is set to the correct speed.

Last edited: