Mysterious old PC Problem

G

Basically, I've had this computer since 2007. I've had many problems over the years and everything that was replaced was paid for with my lunch money. My parents refuse to buy me a new PC no matter what I say.

A few days ago, I bought a new hard drive because the old one died. Once I installed it, the computer ran for some time, then started freezing and the OS that was on the drive for 2 whole hours wouldn't boot. I decided to reinstall Windows, but this time, during the installation process, I wasn't able to format the hard drive. I tried many different USB tools, CMD, Windows Start up repair, nothing. Then, I moved the computer from one desk to the other and the "old" problem arised again. My BIOS wouldn't recognize the new hard drive. I had this problem with the old drive, but assumed the HDD was the problem since it was running pretty loud. Than suddenly, the computer won't POST anymore. So I reset CMOS, it posts, but still no HDD in the BIOS. My flash drive showed up in the BIOS just fine though. I did all the basics, such as reseating connectors, swapping SATA cables,etc. and still nothing. The main problem is, I have no spare parts to test with. Nothing. I can't borrow them anywhere, I'm stuck at guessing. My suspicions are: Motherboard or PSU. Don't know which one could it be. Very frustrated either way.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
Try using a usb and see if it recognizes it. Also use air spray can and clean the hell out of the psu, fans and motherboard. if its 11 years old it needs a good cleaning and I suspect you have dust arcing going on.