[SOLVED] Mysterious Packet Loss For No Apparent Reason

RahimAlWaharim

Prominent
Aug 26, 2021
for the past 2 weeks my computer has been experiencing terrible amounts of packet loss to the point where playing online games and talking on discord is impossible and even surfing the web is becoming an issue. I use a wireless USB adapter as my network adapter but I have tried this same adapter in several other machines in my house and all of them work perfectly fine with no packet loss or connection drops. For whatever reason it is only my system that is experiencing this absurd amount of packet loss (ranges from 5% to 25% usually when performing ping tests on CMD console).
Using wired connection is out of the equation as my router is downstairs and my PC is upstairs, but this shouldn't be a problem as ive had it like this for a long time without any issues. Its only in the past 2 weeks this has been an issue.

Could this be some sort of hardware failure? Perhaps a motherboard fault? I would appreciate if anyone could give me insight as in to what could be going on here

Specs:
Motherboard - MSI B450 PRO M2
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM - 16GB DDR4-3000MHz (2x8GB) Corsair Vengence
GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB
SSD - Kingston A400 480GB
PSU - Corsair TX650M

Last edited:
Solution
A very weak wifi signal will perform very well if you have no interference. Could be as simple as a neighbor started to use the same radio channels as you.

You could change the radio channels but that tends to not help much every radio channel is likely massively over crowded because most modern routers use large blocks of channels not just single channels.

Your best option especially if you are playing games is to not use wifi. Even the best wifi is going to get random lag spikes in games becuase of interference. Maybe spend your money on powerline adapters like av1000 or ac2000.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model USB wireless network adapter? Age ("long time")?

Before boot up feel the adapter. Then after boot up and during use continue to carefully feel the adapter.

If the adapter gets very warm or even hot that is a sign that the adapter is failing or faltering in some manner.

= = = =

Is the wireless USB adapter plugged into a back USB port?

Even if plugged into a front USB port try using a USB extension cable to raise the USB wireless network adapter up and away from the host computer. Likely to improve transmission and perhaps be in "cooler" air.

Also verify that any wired network adapters (even if not connected) are disabled on the host computer.

= = = =

As for upstairs/downstairs using powerline adapters may be a viable option.

RahimAlWaharim

Prominent
Aug 26, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model USB wireless network adapter? Age ("long time")?

Before boot up feel the adapter. Then after boot up and during use continue to carefully feel the adapter.

If the adapter gets very warm or even hot that is a sign that the adapter is failing or faltering in some manner.

= = = =

Is the wireless USB adapter plugged into a back USB port?

Even if plugged into a front USB port try using a USB extension cable to raise the USB wireless network adapter up and away from the host computer. Likely to improve transmission and perhaps be in "cooler" air.

Also verify that any wired network adapters (even if not connected) are disabled on the host computer.

= = = =

As for upstairs/downstairs using powerline adapters may be a viable option.

The adapter is called TP Link UB400 and i've owned it for about 4 months. I have also updated my post with my system specs. My USB is plugged into the front of my case and ive always had it there. It does feel sort of warm sometimes but not too much. I did recently remove my old network card from my computer however, could that have caused any of these problems? I took it out as the USB adapter supported 5GHz wifi and the old network card only done 2.4GHz. Now that I think about it, ever since i removed it these problems began

kanewolf

Titan
The adapter is called TP Link UB400 and i've owned it for about 4 months. I have also updated my post with my system specs. My USB is plugged into the front of my case and ive always had it there. It does feel sort of warm sometimes but not too much. I did recently remove my old network card from my computer however, could that have caused any of these problems? I took it out as the USB adapter supported 5GHz wifi and the old network card only done 2.4GHz. Now that I think about it, ever since i removed it these problems began
That UB400 is JUNK. There is no room for an antenna. No wonder your network is bad. Get something like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Techkey-1750Mbps-1300Mbps-Antennas-Wireless/dp/B07PKMFPF7 It has large antennas and a remote base that allows you to get it out from behind your PC case. That will improve your USB WIFI.

RahimAlWaharim

Prominent
Aug 26, 2021
That UB400 is JUNK. There is no room for an antenna. No wonder your network is bad. Get something like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Techkey-1750Mbps-1300Mbps-Antennas-Wireless/dp/B07PKMFPF7 It has large antennas and a remote base that allows you to get it out from behind your PC case. That will improve your USB WIFI.
But the thing is, it actually worked pretty well and I got good speeds with it (I pay for 70 down 20 up and I got roughly that when it was running good) and I've tried it in other PCs and the adapter worked fine and caused no packet loss on other devices. Do you really think that simply upgrading my network card will fix it? To me this doesn't really seem like a problem with the USB itself as due to the fact it functioning fine with other PCs leads me to believe that the issue is something else on my PC

A very weak wifi signal will perform very well if you have no interference. Could be as simple as a neighbor started to use the same radio channels as you.

You could change the radio channels but that tends to not help much every radio channel is likely massively over crowded because most modern routers use large blocks of channels not just single channels.

Your best option especially if you are playing games is to not use wifi. Even the best wifi is going to get random lag spikes in games becuase of interference. Maybe spend your money on powerline adapters like av1000 or ac2000.

Solution