Mysterious problem with system

Xter9

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014
So I just got a sapphire radeon r9 270x 4gb graphics card for my system. But I get beeps with any card in and my manual says it "no vga detected".

Now where the mystery comes in, the fans on the sapphire card will spin for a second, then stop for 5 seconds, then resume spinning and won't stop, spinning just like they should. On my old nvidia card the fan will spin without any hesitation. But I still get the no vga. All pci-e ports hooked up to the card (two 6 pins) and the old card doesn't need any. I could not tell you if both cards are bad or if one is and the other isn't. The nvidia card sat for 3 years in a drawer and the new sapphire card just came in. But to me it seems the cards are ok, I have no other system to test them on.

But here's the mystery part, on one occasion I got the sapphire card to work, but turned off and back on and it didn't and back to square one except no beeps for a little while but only integrated graphics worked (yes the bios was on pci-e) and the sapphire wouldn't show in device manager. A few CMOS clears and reseats and stuff later and back to the beeps with nothing. But on a few occasions, (even with the old nvidia card) the system would start and shut off before anything happened (indicating too much power being drawen). My PSU is a thermaltake tr-2 (I know bad unit and underperforms at it's rated wattage) 700watt (I know it can't handle it, it'll burn up at 700watts). I have a new 1200 watt quality psu coming in Tuesday I'm gonna go with to ensure my stuff doesn't get fried from the thermal take tr-2.

I can still RMA the card if the card is truly faulty. But I'm just asking if my psu may be to be blame? I tried googling and couldn't find anything similar to my case so I figured I'd ask. I don't think it's the motherboard as there is power to my old nvidia card (which has no other power cables needed, just put in the slot), and it cannot find anything readable (it's possible my old card is bad from sitting, and the new card is ok just not enough power thanks to my crappy psu).

System is:
ECS z77h2-a3
Intel core i5 3570k
Evo hyper 212
SSD
Two DVD/CD drives
G. Skill Sniper ddr3 ram 4gb (2 of them)
Thermal take tr-2 psu (soon to be replaced with more then enough)
And 7 case fans (5 LEDs).
All on windows 8.1

I could believe my psu is the culprit due to it's poor internals and design, but I don't wanna jump and say the card or board is bad because the board works flawless besides this and the card is new and does it on both.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Mike

As far as I'm concerned Sapphire makes a very good AMD card and the only one of those I would install. Having said that, have you installed the drivers for the card?

Xter9

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014
No as I get an error every time with the CD provided and online drivers from AMD of Catalyst Install package failure and the log shows nothing. Hydra vision installed fine and have tried all the online solutions I could. My cousin who owns a computer shop said it may be because it's trying to detect a card it can't and that's why but he couldn't say anything without seeing it. So I was more focused on trying to get the card to detect and run it on basic resolution before tackling my driver issue.

That Power supply is questionable. It may be very inconsistant on what is being delivered, and if it goes it could take out a lot of stuff with it. The specs are good as far as it goes, but it doesn't mean that is what it is putting out. I would first look into getting a decent power supply such as Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, Silverstone, or XFX, Those are all good reliable PSUs.

Xter9

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014
I have a new quality psu coming Tuesday that will easily handle everything so then I'll see if the psu was to blame.

Is there anything else that may cause all the symptoms I've described?