[SOLVED] Mysterious random system shut downs(long post)

ZgazenaMacka

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
Hello people, I am struggling with this for more than a year, in various intervals and any help would be appreciated. I'll try to explain it the best I can with informations I have.

Let's start with my components.
13 months old, bought new from the store. They assembled it and I installed the Windows 10.
Case Zalman S3 Midi Tower
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
RAM: DDR4 16GB (2x8) Kingston 3200MHz Fury
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 BOX
GPU: Sapphire RX590 8G D5 Nitro+ Special Edition, 8GB GDDR5, 256-bit, 1560/2100MHz, 11289-01-20G
Power supply: Fortron 700W Hyper
HDD WD 1TB 3.5" 7200rpm
SSD Kingston SSD 240GB A400 2.5" SATA
Monitors: ACER KG241QPbiip 23.6'', 144hz, 1ms
SyncMaster 225bw 22"
An old TV
+ Keyboard, mouse, Wacom tablet and steam controller.

First I will explain what was happening back in 2019 and then what is happening now.

2019 days

Unexpected system shut down while playing PUBG, blue screen. It restarts itself and then works fine. Event viewer shows critical error Kernel Power ID 41 .

This time I wasn't gaming. I was listening to music and working in CorelDraw when PC froze and music started buzzing, like it's also frozen but you can hear flickering buzzing, the best I can describe that sound hahaha
No bluescreen this time. Monitors goes black but components are still running. I can't do nothing except force restart. Event viewer shows critical error Kernel Power ID 41.

I turned on the PC and components started working but there was no signal from monitors. I had to force restart it was fine. I checked the event viewer and it showed critical error Kernel Power ID 41.

I was playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and monitors went black, there was no sound from the game and components are still running. Only solution was force restart. Event viewer shows critical error Kernel Power ID 41.

Same as 5.12.

Service guys from the store told me to reinstall windows because most likely drivers are messed. I did it and solved the problem for one month, then it started happening again. After deep google search I found out that I should turn off the fast startup in power options. I did turned it off and shut down happened once a month. Until this year.

2021 days
I bought 4 fans and decided to thoroughly clean the components, change thermal paste and then install the fans. I also decided to make a clean windows 10 install because it was a year since the last install.
Fans are ARCTIC P12 PWM, 120mm, 1800rpm Fans ( https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...pwm-curves-and-temperature-questions.3678689/ ).

The problem came back after the clean windows 10 install not that long ago.

I turned on the PC and everything was fine, I was reading emails and both, system and music froze and monitors shut down, components are still working, fans running but there's black screen on both monitors. Only solution is force button restart.
Temeperatures were low and I doubt it has anything to do with shut down. I checked the event viewer and it shows critical error Kernel Power ID 41.
tgwxaoB.png

Also after the restart I got this message which I've never seen it before.
yydU5mR.png

I turned the PC on and after the login it froze and shut down. Components still running but monitors are black. I force restarted it(event log below) and got the same WattMan message.
8Fh87Hi.png

That day I remembered about Fast startup and I turned it off. This fixed the problem for 5 days then it was back.

Today I turned it on and PC froze at login screen. I was able to move the mouse and nothing else. I tried ENTER and CLICK but nothing was happening for some time. Components were running. I force restarted it and checked event viewer.
Ne4JOVk.png

Also I got that WattMan message from AMD again.
tPsXmcX.png

One thing I noticed today is that my GPU Cooling tuning in AMD Software is resetted to AUTOMATIC insted of being set on MANUAL where I adjusted my own usage of fans on GPU.

That's all I could collect with using my knowledge. I am not sure in which direction to look and what is the cause of shut downs?

Here's the whole list of Critical and Error logs from event viewer in case you can read something out of it because I can't :/

iER8LDw.png

4JpV1vx.png

UV5Rp2H.png

Thank you!

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Last edited:
Solution

ZgazenaMacka

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
I am not sure if correct chipset drivers were installed because I have confidence in the Windows 10 self-installing drivers :D Will try to install the latest ones today.

I can't test it with other GPU or PSU unfortunately. Also, it's kinda hard to send the PC to the store because it takes a day or two for delivery then two days for service and then again a day or two for delivering it back to me. That's 6 days in total and I'm using my PC for work and can't afford 6 days without it, currently at least.

Is there any kind of software that can read out what is causing the shutdown? Like I have it running in the background and it collects data that can tell more?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Is there any kind of software that can read out what is causing the shutdown? Like I have it running in the background and it collects data that can tell more?
Can try this,

download hwinfo64,
install and open it,
check "sensors-only",
click "run",
at the bottom of the window click "logging start",
choose a name and place for the log like "hwinfolog" at the "desktop",
this log can be viewed/opened with either excel from Microsoft or libre office calc (freeware).

ZgazenaMacka

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
It's been 4 days without shut down. Came to tell you that and to show another problem I am encountering sometimes(maybe it has something to do with shut downs)

Once I turn the PC on and login to windows 10 it's all fine but there's no icons on taskbar. Once I click anywhere on desktop the cursor turns into hourglass like it's loading something, refreshes the desktop and taskbar icons magicaly appear. I gotta find a video I recorded to show you exactly what is going on.