Question Mystery : ASUS ROG GL552VW, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M, Intel Core i7 & 3DMark Score

Jul 18, 2020
Detectives!

I have a mystery for you all!!! The system config is as follows...

ASUS ROG GL552VW,
Windows 10 64 Bit (10.0.19041),
Intel Core i7-6700HQ Processor,
16 GB DDR4 RAM @ 2,128 MHz,
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (8 GB),
Micron 256 GB SATA SSD (528/447 mbps R/W speed).
BIOS : Latest update
[EDIT] : Internet is 14 MBPS (over WiFi)

With the above specs, I'm getting a 3D Mark score of 3703 :mad:, which according to 3D Mark statistics, the performance is worst than a Office laptop bought in 2020 i.e. in other words, piece of crap. Detailed results are on this link...

Now overall laptop has slowed down substantially over last 1 year. I can remember Power On to Login screen used to take about 8 seconds, now its up to 30 seconds. Applications are slow, google chrome rendering is slower, excel with 50k rows struggle and Blender 3D struggles to render simple scenes. About gaming (biggest pain in the kaboose!), I have been playing World of tanks (almost 2 years) and Rust (almost 1 year) on this laptop...

World of Tanks : Initially I was getting ~90 FPS on High Graphics settings, now if I want 40-50 FPS, I have to play on Minimal settings with SD client (about 5 levels down from High) and still the game graphics and sound stutters.

If I look at the Official WOT System Requirements (Recommended: Win 10 64bit, Intel i5 desktop, 4 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 660 2 GB), I think my laptop specs are much better than the 'Recommended' specs. Still its a pain to see the game lag, stutter on Minimal settings...

Rust : Initially I was getting about 70+ FPS on High Graphics settings, now I have to play on the Lowest (Potato) settings to get 16 FPS and the game still lags.

The Official RUST System Requirements (Recommended: Win 10 64bit, Intel i7, 16 GB RAM, GTX 980) are comparatively lower than what I have in my laptop!

The performance degradation over months is visible after both, the game and windows patches. Even after using tools like Razor Cortex, the laptop struggles to give playable FPS :oops:. I know this is not a desktop but given the requirements for system specifications and the specs I have on my laptop, I believe, I should be able to play on Medium graphics (if not High) without any issues. Let's also not forget that I used to play on High settings (both the games about a year back!). There havent been any changes in the hardware expect the SSD which I upgraded recently.

Please help to shed some light on what may be happening here?

Thanks and regards,

SG

ASK THE COMMUNITY