Mystery DOA Part

NateNate60

Prominent
Jul 1, 2017
Okay, I have a mystery DOA part.

I have just put together a new system, and clicking the power button has no effect at all. Fans do not spin, nothing turns on. I need some help identifying the dead part.

Intel Core i3-6100 Skylake
MSI H110M uATX Motherboard
EVGA 400W Power Supply Unit
500GB SATA 16MB Cashe 7200RPM HDD (Windows 10 Pro is installed on here, with one generic administrator account with no password)
2x 4GB PC4-19200 (DDR4 2300MHz) Both DIMM slots are occupied.
Intel Stock cooler
XION Performance uATX Case (USB 3.0 Cable ripped itself and part of the connector is stuck on the motherboard)
A Lenovo monitor (1080p) connected via VGA, and I have tried DVI too

I have made sure that all cables are plugged in correctly. There is a blinker on the motherboard that flashes occasionally when the PSU is plugged in and connected
There is only one 4-pin CPU power connector on the motherboard, tried both ends of the 4+4 pin CPU connector on the motherboard.

I may also note that the CPU has been out of the packaging for a while now, just sitting on my shelf. No physical damage has occurred on it that I can see.

I have parts from a completed AMD build that I can use to troubleshoot with (these are tested completely fuctional.
GTX 1050 Ti EVGA SC
2x 4GB PC3-12800
AMD FX 8350 OC'd to 4.2GHz
240 GB SATA SSD with Windows 10 Pro installed, and some other junk
A pair of Logitec USB-powered speakers (these connect via a 3.5mm jack)
550W EVGA Power Supply

I do not have an internal speaker.

I would really appreciate any help anyone could give, since I am trying to build a computer for my grandfather.
I can't be on all day to talk, so there might be a delay in resposes.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
When assembling this new system, did you review and adjust (as necessary) all the locations of the Stand-offs that are installed between the case back plate and the mobo? Missing or incorrectly-placed stand-offs can cause shorts to Ground that produce the symptoms you describe.

NateNate60

Prominent
Jul 1, 2017

I just tried it... unfortunately nothing happened. I think I might have to put some elbow grease into it to remove the stuck header. I'll reply when I get it out.

Tamaskan

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
hmmm you could try slowly prying it out with a small flathead screwdriver. I did this with one of my older pc when switching the PSU, the 24pin got stuck and i slowly try pushing the flathead between the connector and plug slowly twisting it to move it up and did this a couple times till it got loose enough to plug out.

Also is the PSU new? Since you checked all the connectors. You could also try unplugging the power on button from the motherboard then just try shorting out the 2pins just to rule out if the power button isnt working.

NateNate60

Prominent
Jul 1, 2017

I did manage to pry out the USB 3.0 header, and I tried turning it on using the screwdriver. There was no response. There is, however a small blinker on the mo/bo that is blinking, so I assume the mo/bo is getting power? Can I also note that the CPU was stored in the box for a while without the protective casing? I assume the CPU has not been damaged since there are no pins on it. I did drop the CPU once on to the floor.