Question Mystery Dull Display

May 9, 2019
Hi all,

My first post. I hope this is in the right section.

I have a new (2nd hand) HP Elitebook 8440p. It has a very dim display. When I cycle through the 0%, 25%, 50 % etc. brightness setting, it makes little difference. It is brighter on 100% and dimmer on 0%, but the intermediate options do nothing.

I already have another 8440p and I can tell that the full brightness on this new one is closer to 50% on the old one.

I have tried the following:

Updated all the drivers

Uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers

Tried tweaking display settings as recommended online (although some of those settings don't appear on this laptop)

I have removed the screen from the good laptop and installed it on the new machine

I have switched all the display cables /connectors from the good latop to the new machine.

The older machine still works fine, with the hardware from the new machine, but I still have the same problem with a dull display on the new machine.

Also the dim screen seems to have a slightly blue / purple tinge to it.

Is there some other hardware or software option that I have missed? It's really baffling me!

Any advice would be appreciated as I am out of ideas and as I have bad eyesight, I'm unable to use this machine at the minute.

TIA

Johnners

Hey johnners. Just so I understand, you...
  • Swapped LCDs
  • Swapped video cable for the (internal) LCD
From a working, identical system, and still ended up with the discoloration and brightness issue?

Have you been able to test an external screen? How does the connector on the board (for the video cable) look? Any damages?

May 9, 2019
Thanks for the replies guys, I found the problem thanks to another forum user.
This model apparently has an ambient light sensor which doesn't show up anywhere in the obvious settings.
A quick fn / f11 disabled it.
Such a simple thing after all the messing around!
Hopefully this might be of use to someone else in future.
Thanks again!