[SOLVED] Mystery home network speed issue

May 21, 2020
I don't even know where to start..
I've had internet speed issues for 2-3 years.
I live in a building where we're all using google fiber supplied by Webpass. Enough people in my building complained about the speeds and instability of our internet, so Google decided to upgrade our equipment in the building to the latest giving everyone gigabit fiber. JOY. Now, for some reason mine STILL only registered as 95/95 (Wired and Wifi).. Odd. So through the process of elimination, I realized I was using an old ethernet cable from my EERO Router to my NetGear Gigabit Switch. I switched that to a “newer” ethernet cable and WOOMZAAH my internet speed flew up to 800/800 via Wired, and 350/550 via Wifi. Good enough… half an hour later.. the speed drops back down to 95/95 (both wired and Wifi- and very specifically 95/95.. not just random numbers)… I try and connect an ethernet cable directly into the wall box where the internet comes in, and it registers as 800/800 again, so not Googles Fault this time.. I then switch out the ethernet cable once again, going between my EERO router and NetGear Switch, and once again WAZOOOM .. lightning fast internet.. whew.. I thought.. 45 minutes later.. its back down to 95/95.. now I don’t have any more new Ethernet cables to try.. I’m so confused as to how this is even possible…

Any help would be much appreciated.

Solution
I live in a building where we're all using google fiber supplied by Webpass. Enough people in my building complained about the speeds and instability of our internet, so Google decided to upgrade our equipment in the building to the latest giving everyone gigabit fiber. JOY. Now, for some reason mine STILL only registered as 95/95 (Wired and Wifi).. Odd. So through the process of elimination, I realized I was using an old ethernet cable from my EERO Router to my NetGear Gigabit Switch. I switched that to a “newer” ethernet cable and WOOMZAAH my internet speed flew up to 800/800 via Wired, and 350/550 via Wifi. Good enough… half an hour later.. the speed...

Ralston18

Titan
How is your computer connected?

For example:

Webpass ISP ---fiber---> Modem ---Ethernet cable--> [WAN]Router[LAN]----Ethernet cable ----> Your PC and wireless> wireless network devices.

Where would the Netgear Switch and the wall outlet be in the above line diagram?

Are you able to test connections by temporarily bypassing the Netgear Switch and wall outlet?

kanewolf

Titan
I live in a building where we're all using google fiber supplied by Webpass. Enough people in my building complained about the speeds and instability of our internet, so Google decided to upgrade our equipment in the building to the latest giving everyone gigabit fiber. JOY. Now, for some reason mine STILL only registered as 95/95 (Wired and Wifi).. Odd. So through the process of elimination, I realized I was using an old ethernet cable from my EERO Router to my NetGear Gigabit Switch. I switched that to a “newer” ethernet cable and WOOMZAAH my internet speed flew up to 800/800 via Wired, and 350/550 via Wifi. Good enough… half an hour later.. the speed drops back down to 95/95 (both wired and Wifi- and very specifically 95/95.. not just random numbers)… I try and connect an ethernet cable directly into the wall box where the internet comes in, and it registers as 800/800 again, so not Googles Fault this time.. I then switch out the ethernet cable once again, going between my EERO router and NetGear Switch, and once again WAZOOOM .. lightning fast internet.. whew.. I thought.. 45 minutes later.. its back down to 95/95.. now I don’t have any more new Ethernet cables to try.. I’m so confused as to how this is even possible…

Any help would be much appreciated.
You have a problem with autonegotiation. It could still be bad connectivity at your wall box or the other end of that cable. Each ethernet chip is slightly different in the amount of errors and or crosstalk it will tolerate. The in-wall cabling is the responsibility of the building. I would get building management to check it.

Solution

chuda

Commendable
Aug 28, 2017
check what settings you have in these two locations :
access your router in browser and check under Ethernet : should be Gigabit ethernet
Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center ..local area connection... properties ... under card, configure ... advanced tab...find Speed&duplex... i believe you have auto negotiate...set to 1 Gigabit full duplex.
do you have FTTH or FTTC ? if google didn`t change all cables/connections you still might depend on contention..