Question Mystery Issue - New Build Won't Turn On?

Aug 8, 2022
Hello!

I am not new to building systems, so I am quite perplexed as to what the problem is here. I have as ASRock B550 motherboard with GSkill DDR4 3200 plugged in and that's about it, short of a hard drive and a 600w power supply. It won't turn on with the power switch... Here is what I've done so far:
  • Put a new replacement power supply in, of the same type - No Fix
  • Shorted the power switch pins - No Fix
  • Replaced CMOS battery and shorted the Clear CMOS pins - No Fix
  • Reseated processor and RAM - No Fix
I'm running out of ideas for basic troubleshooting here, I feel like I'm missing something? Please tell me I am... Thanks in advance!

Hello!

I am not new to building systems, so I am quite perplexed as to what the problem is here. I have as ASRock B550 motherboard with GSkill DDR4 3200 plugged in and that's about it, short of a hard drive and a 600w power supply. It won't turn on with the power switch... Here is what I've done so far:
  • Put a new replacement power supply in, of the same type - No Fix
  • Shorted the power switch pins - No Fix
  • Replaced CMOS battery and shorted the Clear CMOS pins - No Fix
  • Reseated processor and RAM - No Fix
I'm running out of ideas for basic troubleshooting here, I feel like I'm missing something? Please tell me I am... Thanks in advance!
What about CPU and it's cooler ?

Aug 8, 2022
I removed the memory and still no power on. I removed the CPU and still nothing... but when I pressed down slightly on the motherboard next to the CPU slot, the machine powered on.... almost as if there was a circuit short? Or maybe an excess of thermal paste got into the pins? The person who gave this to me to fix had a TON of paste covering the CPU and mushing out the sides.

Is the CPU socket somehow removable to be cleaned? I am suspecting paste got into a pinhole, if that would cause the problem. I set the CPU into the slot when it turned back on and as SOON as I tried to push the lever to lock the CPU in place, the PC shut off abruptly.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Is the CPU socket somehow removable to be cleaned? I am suspecting paste got into a pinhole, if that would cause the problem. I set the CPU into the slot when it turned back on and as SOON as I tried to push the lever to lock the CPU in place, the PC shut off abruptly.

You put the CPU in the socket while the board was powered? I don't think that is something they plan for, that may have killed it.

Still, the socket is not removeable. You can clean it with something like CRC Contact Cleaner which will basically blast it with isopropyl alcohol, then you have to patiently wait for it to dry.

It is possible to damage CPU sockets. On AMD the most common failure would be opening the retention arm the wrong way. This can break the plastic that holds everything together when the arm is tensioned.