Mystery Radeon HD 'X2' Card Spy Shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I think this is the most interesting part: "We also know that AMD will be handpicking Cypress chips for their HD 5870-XTX which is due in Q1. Expect a big surprise from AMD, also in Q1." Sign me up for an HD 5870-XTX.

bainne

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
[citation][nom]brockh[/nom]I think this is the most interesting part: "We also know that AMD will be handpicking Cypress chips for their HD 5870-XTX which is due in Q1. Expect a big surprise from AMD, also in Q1." Sign me up for an HD 5870-XTX.[/citation]

I'm just saying - we know it exists, we know what it looks like - it was in the news a month ago and THG is acting likes its the "first pictures ever released". Alienbabeltech have the card in their possession, why can't we see some benchmarks. Why not show something original?

bainne

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Apologies for the misquote - was direct at "anarchy4sale"

Also what's up with the no life comment? Just because I happen to visit websites which I think are a better source of reviews and information than Tom's or Alienbabeltech?

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Looks like a FAKE card.

Notice: A GPU chip is between the two Coolers... Hmmm... kind of hard to COOL a GPU without a heatsink, muchless an actual cooling system.

The 5870 is already at the max size a computer case can hold. That card won't fit in most computers.

vote HOAX.

Sihastru

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
The card is real, even if it's just an engineering sample. In other pictures around the interweb the PLX bridge chip has an aluminum heatsink on it.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Its a bad cooling design... its a fake. Look at the 5870 and other cards - the FANS are not put directly on top of the GPUs - as that reduces heat-sink area. The fans should / would be placed elsewhere.

Yeah, there are heat-pipes... but this looks improper.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
looks fake to me. It looks like it has a 6 and an 8 pin power connector but i thought this beast would need 2 8pins. Also that chip between the coolers. and it doesn't look right where the fan power line terminates.

I'm sure the card will happen and is real, i'm just not convinced the one we see here is it.

Dang. Yeah I don't think that is gonna fit in my case :D. I doubt that's a retail design though considering the PCI-E bridge in the middle is uncovered. It will be interesting to see the performance numbers on two such cards in crossfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.