[SOLVED] Myth or Truth?

Jul 9, 2020
Good day!

I have a 60hz (75 hz if oc'd) monitor and a gpu of rtx 2060, one day while working it there is no display but pc didn't crash because I could still hear my music.

Did some basic troubleshooting and found out the cable may be faulty, however upon the observation of a technician. He definitely told me that rtx 2060 is an overkill for my 60hz monitor and i needed a 144hz to not have any issues (which is no display).

Connector was DVI to HDMI. I only use it (2060) to help me render stuff and not play games at all.

Can someone care to explain?

Solution
He's full of BS, plain and simple. There are literally thousands of people running RTX 2060 graphics cards on 60hz monitors, and there are NO limitations on what refresh rate your display needs to be in order to run any particular model of graphics card.

Whoever that person is, I'd make it a point to not use or take any advice from them again in the future because they are dangerously ignorant and lacking in essential knowledge that any "technician" should have.

Did you try a different cable? What KIND of cable are you using? Are you using any adapters?

What is the EXACT model of your power supply, CPU, motherboard and monitor?

Is the monitor overclocked? This is a HUGE potential issue, maybe even the whole issue, and in fact it...
He's full of BS, plain and simple. There are literally thousands of people running RTX 2060 graphics cards on 60hz monitors, and there are NO limitations on what refresh rate your display needs to be in order to run any particular model of graphics card.

Whoever that person is, I'd make it a point to not use or take any advice from them again in the future because they are dangerously ignorant and lacking in essential knowledge that any "technician" should have.

Did you try a different cable? What KIND of cable are you using? Are you using any adapters?

Is the monitor overclocked? This is a HUGE potential issue, maybe even the whole issue, and in fact it wouldn't be a stretch to believe that if it's a bit older monitor and you've been running it overclocked for a while, it might even just be burnt out.

Solution
Jul 9, 2020

Is the monitor overclocked? This is a HUGE potential issue, maybe even the whole issue, and in fact it wouldn't be a stretch to believe that if it's a bit older monitor and you've been running it overclocked for a while, it might even just be burnt out.

My monitor model is Asus VP228NE with DVI only ports, no overclocking (only available with 1280x1080 so not suitable for work)
That adapter was DVI to HDMI for my rtx 2060 only had dp/hdmi.
i5 3330, p8b75-m lx , dq650-m-v2l (psu).

Its an ancient one but will be upgrading the cpu/mobo ram sooner. It's really weird it worked while I was playing apex for hours, thats why i posted this thread to ask if that was really true.

Note: It was working for 3 days and in the fourth one definitely just went mayhem (no display).
Another note: Using igpu again with DVI to dvi cable (came with the monitor) and no issues at all.
Another extra note: Also tried the DVI to hdmi cable on another monitor and still no display when used with the rtx 2060.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avro Arrow
So, it works without the adapter, but doesn't work on two different monitors WITH the adapter?

So I'd try a different adapter. Obviously it's not the cable since it works with the iGPU. If a different adapter doesn't solve the problem then it's probably a graphics card issue. Could be that a windows driver update has borked things up too, so doing a clean install of the graphics card drivers using the DDU is probably a good idea as well.

Jul 9, 2020
So, it works without the adapter, but doesn't work on two different monitors WITH the adapter?

So I'd try a different adapter. Obviously it's not the cable since it works with the iGPU. If a different adapter doesn't solve the problem then it's probably a graphics card issue. Could be that a windows driver update has borked things up too, so doing a clean install of the graphics card drivers using the DDU is probably a good idea as well.

With the adapter, it only displays once i apply extra force on the DVI head (take note that i've fully mounted it tightly) then upon release it just goes out.

I suspected it to be the DVI socket to be faulty on my monitor but thats not the case.

However, thank you so much for your input. I really doubted what he was saying was total BS. I'll try another adapter if i manage to find one.

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
small advice. if you can afford it, always get a monitor that can connect to the card without the need for an adapter. the refresh is not important but the fewer components are in the way, the fewer the points of failure to be checked in case of a problem.

Reactions: kbdiamondes
I really doubted what he was saying was total BS.

Well, you can doubt it all you want, but I assure you, it WAS BS. There is nothing saying a specific refresh rate type display must be used with any graphics card. The resolution and output TYPE (Cable) are what will ultimately determine what refresh rate you run and even then you usually have options for running at a variety of different refresh rates based on what the display supports.

If that guy is a technician, he's a LIAR and a FRAUDSTER. The 60Hz of a monitor is the maximum number of frames per second that it can display. The video card doesn't try to "force" the monitor to do more than it can because that would be impossible. The most that could happen is screen-tearing.

If he's a technician, he's not mistaken and he DOES know better. He's just lying through his teeth, probably trying to swindle you into buying a new monitor for no reason.