treetop

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
I have been reading a lot about wireless networks (for home) lately and thanks to sites like this i managed to setup a network that is 2.4 N only, 2.4G only and 5GHZ using 2 D-Link routers. the main purpose was to put 7 IP cameras on the N only network so i can get better performance of them, and don't have any G clients bogin things down.

My problem now is however, there are a few clients that i'm not sure if they are N or G so i figured i would try to connect an old laptop (most likely G) to the N only side and see what happens. Low and behold - it connected at 65 Mbs! ??? I thought for sure it wouldn't connect at all.

For the hell of it, i tried the old laptop on the G only side and to my surprise it also connected (at 54Mbs)!!!!!????

The routers are set to "N only" and "G only", no mixes. I thought for sure the G clients would be rejected by the N only router.

That presents a problem to me because i may connect a G client to the N side (thinking it's an N client) and inadvertingly bog down the N speed.

Now that i wrote all this, it dawned on me that i may have already answer my own question - look at the speed at which the client connect.....??? That would be a good solution except that i can't see the speed of let's say..a networked DVD player...????

I guess my question is: Why don't a router configure to "N only" reject (don't allow it to connect) a client that is G..?

Thanks for any help.

Your confusion comes from your assumption that the laptop’s wireless adapter is wireless G, when it’s probably wireless N, which is always backward compatible to G, or even B. So no matter which router you choose, it simply switches to G or N on its side. :D

treetop

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
LOL - It's unlikely that it's N, believe me - it's an OLD laptop (DELL Latitude D610). but i did learned something, if a client is N, it will drop down to G if i connect it to a router configured for "G only" and not reject it. I didn't know that.

thanks for your response