[SOLVED] N00b new build, Gigabyte + Ryzen 5, no display, no BIOS

R'an_Solo

Prominent
Nov 22, 2019
G’day, hate for my first post to be begging for help but I’m at a loss here on my second build, first one without a friend to help. No BIOS screen on startup, beep code 1 long + 3 short which seems to indicate a RAM problem under AMI codes. I’ve tried single sticks of RAM individually, had started out with 16 GB of Corsair 3000MHz CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 which I didn’t realize isn’t listed as compatible by gigabyte, and each of two sticks Fury HyperX 4 GB HX421C14FBK from an old system. Went to Best Buy for the ...A2400C16 2400MHz RAM explicitly listed by Gigabyte. Same thing every time. Starting with no RAM results in no beeps.
I’ve gone through this checklist: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1575220/
Please see the link to build photos on my Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/142965202@N04/albums/72157711893680746
Nothing shorted that I can find. As you can see in at least one photo this case uses displaced sheet metal risers instead of standoffs for the mobo. I’ve reset the CMOS by shorting the pins and removing the system battery. I’ve checked the system battery is at 3.1v. I had the 1070 GPU installed at first, but taken advice and removed that, disconnected SSD to reduce the variables. I’ve used two different monitors, both HDMI and VGA cables. I’m at my wits end, and ready to order a different mobo. I’m going to contact Gigabyte after dinner or tomorrow and see if they can figure anything out.

System specs below:

Thermaltake Core V21 Cube Case
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H
16 GB RAM: 2x Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C16
NVIDIA GTX 1070 by PNY (Used, Newegg)
Crucial CT480BX500SSD1 480GB SSD

Desperately,
Ryan

Last edited:

R'an_Solo

Prominent
Nov 22, 2019
Well I put the 1070 GPU back in, that got me back to a single beep but no BIOS still. On a whim I put the HDMI cable into the GPU instead of the motherboard HDMI, and THERE WAS BIOS! I don't understand that, everything I've read says that until I get the video card drivers installed, I should be plugging my monitor directly to the mobo. Mind blown.

R'an_Solo

Prominent
Nov 22, 2019
Watch the "colorful" language, please, implied or otherwise. Thank you.
That pisses me off, nowhere on the Amazon listing or AMD page do I see that. I have a Intel Core i5-9400F on order (for different system) and that is clearly marked as having no igpu. <<Edited>>. Well, lesson learned the hard way!

Last edited by a moderator:
The box says descrete graphics required, just like the 9400f.

Not really Amazons or AMDs fault, just do some research first.

Ryzen -g APUs, some AM4 Athlons ending with-g, and AM4 a series APUs have graphics built in.

Ryzen or Ryzen -x CPUs lack integrated graphics.