Question Name of this video artifact?

TommyG2014

Reputable
May 5, 2015
Hi all,

I'm not entirely sure what you call this artifact -- lately when I drag a window across the screen or over another window, the dragged window either leaves behind multiple overlapping images of itself or a black overlapping images of itself, obscuring the window below. I'm assuming is a some sort of windows redraw functionality that is not working properly...

What is the name for this and any suggestions as to a fix or cause?

I'm running:
Windows 7 64 bit on a Dell Precision M4700

Thanks!

TommyG2014

Reputable
May 5, 2015
I'm not sure if it is ghosting or not...it seems like ghosting indicates a slow refresh speed where in my case there is no refresh at all. I was able to screen capture a couple of images. I need to do a bit more research, but it seems like there is a chance google Chrome may be an issue, as the ghosting is very prominent when that browser is in the background.

I find it confusing to figure out graphics drivers on my Dell laptop. Dell has its own recommended drivers and then Nvidia has different drivers. Additionally there are 2 graphics drivers (onboard Intel and Nvidia Quadra K2000) that can be (supposedly) separately enabled or disabled or set to auto (some of which is Bios controlled) , but I'm not entirely sure if that is working or not.

Pics:

2zq76ns.jpg

ajkkr4.jpg

TommyG2014

Reputable
May 5, 2015
I'm not sure if I realized if that was the case or not (as I usually have a number of Chrome tabs open when I'm on the computer). I was having other glitchy video issues with Chrome (the tabs at the top wouldn't redraw properly) so previously attempted all the graphics driver upgrades, which didn't help. I didn't think about Chrome itself being the culprit. However, after reinstalling Chrome it seems to have solved both the issues I was having.