Naming a server

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm about to setup a small business network with a windows 2003 server.
What is the naming scheme that should be used. Is there a basic name
that can be used? Thanks, Tom

In news:E1E79A33-D308-4864-A1CF-C4DE869B2BE3@microsoft.com,
Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> I'm about to setup a small business network with a windows 2003
> server. What is the naming scheme that should be used. Is there a
> basic name that can be used? Thanks, Tom

You can use whatever you like. I tend to be boring and use a combination of
names & numbers.

For example,

COMPANYS001, 002, 003 for servers
COMPANYW001, 002, 003 for workstations.

Some people prefer FLOWER, THUMPER, BAMBI.... KIRK, SPOCK, MCCOY ... but as
I said, I'm incredibly boring. Whatever you do, don't name workstations
after users. Users move, users quit, etc. You can always keep track of who
uses what in the description field in the AD computer object.

Don't use underscores or spaces...keep them simple, keep them short.