Naming items out of inventory

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Is there a way to #name items which are not in your inventory.

Typically, once I've kick-id loadstone, I'd like to #name it in order to
avoid the painfull kick-iding for every further gray stone I see (until
I've properly ided all of them). But #naming seems to work only on items
in inventory (and I definitely not want to pick up an identified
loadstone) and Calling only work for monsters (and won't do the right
think, that is naming a class of objects not a single one).

So, what should I do?

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Kent Paul Dolan wrote:

> "Jym" <moyen@loria.fr> wrote:
>> Typically, once I've kick-id loadstone, I'd like to #name it in order to
>> avoid the painfull kick-iding for every further gray stone I see (until
>> I've properly ided all of them).
>
> If it really has you missing sleep, wait until you find a scroll of
> remove curse, go back, pick up the loadstone, name its item type, remove
> the curse that keeps you holding it, and drop it again.

I'd definitely never waste a scroll of remove curse on this, but I might do
it with holy water in the mid to late game. ?oRC are much too valuable for
this, IMO, whereas I generally end up making way more holy water than I
need.

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Jym wrote:
> Is there a way to #name items which are not in your inventory.

No, that's not possible, as far as I can tell.

> Typically, once I've kick-id loadstone, I'd like to #name it in order to
> avoid the painfull kick-iding for every further gray stone I see (until
> I've properly ided all of them). But #naming seems to work only on items
> in inventory (and I definitely not want to pick up an identified
> loadstone) and Calling only work for monsters (and won't do the right
> think, that is naming a class of objects not a single one).

It's also impossible to rename an item in your "identified-list". Say,
you read enchant weapon, wrote by accident enchant armor; you can see
this by the '\'-command but cannot correct that error. Another example
is throwing gems to unicorns; you need two gems to be able to name the
gem type according to the message you got.

> So, what should I do?

I suppose, currently, we have to live with that game behaviour.

Janis
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,misc.misc (More info?)

"Jym" <moyen@loria.fr> wrote:

> Is there a way to #name items which are not in
> your inventory.

Nope.

> Typically, once I've kick-id loadstone, I'd like
> to #name it in order to avoid the painfull
> kick-iding for every further gray stone I see
> (until I've properly ided all of them).

> So, what should I do?

Live with it.

It isn't a bug, it is a deliberate feature designed
to make loadstones and such more dangerous.

If it really has you missing sleep, wait until you
find a scroll of remove curse, go back, pick up the
loadstone, name its item type, remove the curse that
keeps you holding it, and drop it again.

xanthian.



--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> Kent Paul Dolan wrote:
>>"Jym" <moyen@loria.fr> wrote:
>>
>>>Typically, once I've kick-id loadstone, I'd like to #name it in order to
>>>avoid the painfull kick-iding for every further gray stone I see (until
>>>I've properly ided all of them).
>>
>>If it really has you missing sleep, wait until you find a scroll of
>>remove curse, go back, pick up the loadstone, name its item type, remove
>>the curse that keeps you holding it, and drop it again.
>
> I'd definitely never waste a scroll of remove curse on this, but I might do
> it with holy water in the mid to late game. ?oRC are much too valuable for
> this, IMO, whereas I generally end up making way more holy water than I
> need.

Well, in the mid to late game, when things start getting cursed by these
magicians, I read from time to time a blessed scroll of remove curse
(whenever I feel uncomfortable or am heavily restricted; by a cursed
unicorn horn, etc.). In this situation I _could_ also remove the curse
from a loadstone. But why bother at that stage; after the mine-end you
don't need to care about these stones anyway.

Janis
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Jym wrote:
>
> Is there a way to #name items which are not in your inventory.

Except your pet, no.

> Typically, once I've kick-id loadstone, I'd like to #name it in order
to
> avoid the painfull kick-iding for every further gray stone I see
(until
> I've properly ided all of them). But #naming seems to work only on
items
> in inventory (and I definitely not want to pick up an identified
> loadstone) and Calling only work for monsters (and won't do the right
> think, that is naming a class of objects not a single one).
>
> So, what should I do?

We're stuck with kick-id all gray stones until all of
the other types have been ID.

Or ... Pick it up, but only after you have a spare
potion of holy water. Not worth a scroll of remove
curse unless you end up with a bunch of them.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> Another example
> is throwing gems to unicorns; you need two gems to be able to name the
> gem type according to the message you got.

My way around this one is to #name the gem I'm about to throw something
like "valuable white", and if the unicorn leaves it, pick it back up and
#name it "glass". When I next come across a gem called "valuable white"
I know it's a goody.

Not much help for loadstones though.

-- Neil
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Neil Padgen wrote:

> Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> > Another example
> > is throwing gems to unicorns; you need two gems to be able to name the
> > gem type according to the message you got.
>
> My way around this one is to #name the gem I'm about to throw something
> like "valuable white", and if the unicorn leaves it, pick it back up and
> #name it "glass". When I next come across a gem called "valuable white"
> I know it's a goody.

Of course, that the good trick.

> Not much help for loadstones though.

Yes. #naming every other "not load" (or better once pseudo-idetified via
#rubbing and price grouping) help once you've found them all.
The problem is a bit worse in slash'em (which I'm currently playing) with
two more gray stones to find before being safe.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Doug Freyburger wrote:

> Jym wrote:
> >
> > Is there a way to #name items which are not in your inventory.
>
> Except your pet, no.

Any monster can be Called (at least in slash'em).

> > Typically, once I've kick-id loadstone, I'd like to #name it in order
> to
> > avoid the painfull kick-iding for every further gray stone I see
> (until
> > I've properly ided all of them). But #naming seems to work only on
> items
> > in inventory (and I definitely not want to pick up an identified
> > loadstone) and Calling only work for monsters (and won't do the right
> > think, that is naming a class of objects not a single one).
> >
> > So, what should I do?
>
> We're stuck with kick-id all gray stones until all of
> the other types have been ID.
>
> Or ... Pick it up, but only after you have a spare
> potion of holy water. Not worth a scroll of remove
> curse unless you end up with a bunch of them.

Yes, I won't use a scroll on a single loadstone. OTOH, if I found a bone
file and a loadstone near, I'll probably go and #name the stone, before
blessed remove curse...

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Jym <moyen@loria.fr> writes:
> Any monster can be Called (at least in slash'em).

Any non-unique monster. "Master Kaen doesn't like being called names!"

--
: Dylan O'Donnell http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/ :
: "Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all." :
: -- A.J. Balfour :
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

On 3/23/05 3:04 PM, Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
> Jym <moyen@loria.fr> writes:
>
>>Any monster can be Called (at least in slash'em).
>
> Any non-unique monster. "Master Kaen doesn't like being called names!"

And works the same in vanilla.

--
Kevin Wayne

"I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"Waters? What waters? We're in the desert?"
"I was misinformed."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
> Jym <moyen@loria.fr> writes:
>
>>Any monster can be Called (at least in slash'em).
>
>
> Any non-unique monster. "Master Kaen doesn't like being called names!"


And in slashem minions sent to you as servants by your god cannot be
named either (something I found a bit annoying - I don't mind the
attribute "the fire-elemental of Odin" or the like, but you should still
be able to add a name such as "Billow, the fire-elemental of Odin", in
order to distinguish your different fire-elemental pets).

--
Klaus Kassner
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Klaus Kassner <Klaus.Kassner@physik.uni-magdeburg.de> writes:
> Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
> > Jym <moyen@loria.fr> writes:
> >
> >>Any monster can be Called (at least in slash'em).
> > Any non-unique monster. "Master Kaen doesn't like being called
> > names!"
>
> And in slashem minions sent to you as servants by your god cannot be
> named either (something I found a bit annoying - I don't mind the
> attribute "the fire-elemental of Odin" or the like, but you should
> still be able to add a name such as "Billow, the fire-elemental of
> Odin", in order to distinguish your different fire-elemental pets).

The same applies to minions in vanilla, as well (gods you've annoyed
will sometimes summon hostile minions). That's a slightly different
case, though; you're allowed to name the monster, it's just that its
name isn't visible in messages printed by the game. (Ditto priests.)
There are circumstances in which it _is_ used: for example, if the
monster is turned into a statue, then that statue will carry the name
you gave it; or if a priest (or polymorphed minion) is killed, the
corpse will.

--
: Dylan O'Donnell http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/ :
: "Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all." :
: -- A.J. Balfour :
 

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
1,388
0
19,280
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

In article <yy7o1xa7gpej.fsf@css.css.sfu.ca>,
Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote:

>I'd definitely never waste a scroll of remove curse on this, but I might do
>it with holy water in the mid to late game. ?oRC are much too valuable for
>this, IMO, whereas I generally end up making way more holy water than I
>need.

A more conservative tactic would be to have your blessed ?oRC, your
stash of cursed items, and the loadstone all together, if it bothers
you. In a recent game, I had so many ?oRC (among other things), I was
blanking them.
 

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
1,388
0
19,280
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

In article <1111600963.076559.321470@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Doug Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Or ... Pick it up, but only after you have a spare
>potion of holy water. Not worth a scroll of remove
>curse unless you end up with a bunch of them.

I'm of a counter opinion here. A !oHW is more expensive here, because
it can ONLY affect the one item. But a ?oRC will take care of the
loadstone as a side effect while you're uncursing some other stuff
(e.g., everything you can carry in your inventory while also carrying a
loadstone.)

Only way I'd use a !oHW on a loadstone in the early game is if I messed
up and autopicked-up one. That early, my characters are more likely to
require the assistance of a nymph.

For healers, stone-to-flesh may be cheaper than holy water also.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

james <fishbowl@conservatory.com> wrote:
> In article <1111600963.076559.321470@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> Doug Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Or ... Pick it up, but only after you have a spare
>>potion of holy water. Not worth a scroll of remove
>>curse unless you end up with a bunch of them.
>
> I'm of a counter opinion here. A !oHW is more expensive here, because
> it can ONLY affect the one item. But a ?oRC will take care of the

#dip
What do you want to dip?
Y. 16 blank scrolls
Into what?
Z. Holy Water.
Your 16 blank scrolls glow with a light blue aura.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Ian Stirling wrote:
> james <fishbowl@conservatory.com> wrote:
>
>>In article <1111600963.076559.321470@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
>>Doug Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Or ... Pick it up, but only after you have a spare
>>>potion of holy water. Not worth a scroll of remove
>>>curse unless you end up with a bunch of them.
>>
>>I'm of a counter opinion here. A !oHW is more expensive here, because
>>it can ONLY affect the one item. But a ?oRC will take care of the
>
> #dip
> What do you want to dip?
> Y. 16 blank scrolls
> Into what?
> Z. Holy Water.
> Your 16 blank scrolls glow with a light blue aura.

He meant of course *different* items.

A blessed scroll of remove curse will not only remove the curse of the
16 scrolls but also of the other items in your inventory.

And, yes, the potion is more valuable in the sense that you can _bless_
the items, not only uncurse them.

So each of the two, scroll and potion, has its advantage.

Janis