Nanodots Used To Create 2.24 TB Storage Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
So, is this storage Future Tech more like batteries (who always promise wonderful things in 2-5 years with almost no tangible consumer benefit), or is this more like CPU tech, where Moore's Law reigns?

Okay, now this is the kind of news Tomshardware should be posting about.

A few years from now, this could become the replacement for SSDs. Imagine, 2.24TB in a thumb drive sized storage unit. Incredible. Absolutely incredible.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
5 years isnt soon enough ssd's price will go down by then and they'll be already in mass use. hopefully this works out because many times we never hear about these "breakthroughs" after further research.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
So if you do the math a typical 2.5" drive can hold 8 of these chips so that 17.92TB. Depending on the thickness of the chip it can be layered 2 to 3 times providing capacities of 35.84TB and 53.76TB respectively. And for 3.5" drives the numbers more than double.

Bert R

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Did anybody else read the title as "Nanobots" by accident? Because I was excited for a second there. But, alas, tis not to be.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]Dekasav[/nom]I wonder if it could have possible use as CPU cache....[/citation]
Depends. It sounds like this has less to do with silicon, and more to do with lasers. There are technologies that are similar for processors that would utilize laser pulses, and therefore, could have some kind of co-relevance with this technology, but assuming current CPU technology, I think this is a radically different way of accessing data, and may require something closer to an optical drive (DVD) than a CPU.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]So if you do the math a typical 2.5" drive can hold 8 of these chips so that 17.92TB. Depending on the thickness of the chip it can be layered 2 to 3 times providing capacities of 35.84TB and 53.76TB respectively. And for 3.5" drives the numbers more than double.[/citation]

No, because this doesn't include the technology needed to read and write onto the chip.

It's kind of like saying, I can cram the entire contents of an encyclopeia onto the surface of a grain of rice. But that doesn't mean you could cram 1000's of them into a 3.5 inch drive because you need a gigantic electron microscope to read the information.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009

Its unknown. It is not known whether it can be written to they have just managed to store 2TB on a chip.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009

good point but im sure i was not the only one thinking about how many square inches a 2.5" drive can take.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I hope that this technology does get somewhere, and at earth prices.
It's funny when they said "this can be done "cost-effectively" but then
when it gets to the consumer the price is multiply by 1000+'s.

Also like many comments speculate, I too would like to know if multiple
of this chips could be used on a single unit and at earth prices.

androticus

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
hahaha -- if i had a dollar for every science project that was going to become a stupendous new tech product "within 5 years" i would be a zillionaire ;)

gpace

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
So, what's the read write speed? How long does it last? What's the power draw?

Still, I can't wait to see this in action once it is actually ready for the mass market.

Status
Not open for further replies.