News NanoPi NEO3 Offers Network Storage in a Tiny Package

Giroro

Splendid
microsd is topping around 100MB's so unless usb3.0 also can take a speedy pendrive, it does not make a lot of sense with that gigabit ethernet.
hmmm true tiny network storage.

Theres only 125 MegaBytes in a Gigabit (1,000 / 8). The real-world speed of gigabit Ethernet is about 118 MB/S.

Mar 21, 2020
In spite of the haters (yes, reference to the Haters Annual Ball), I think this is a step in the right direction. I would like to see all of the standard interfaces smacked-down the micro.

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
I know right... I was expecting nvme, sata, or 2.5g ethernet. Any of which may have been an interesting product.
I don't think it is total clickbait - it depends on context. As a network storage device it could be better, but this device is a major step up from the OrangePi Zero for example - which is small, headless and very cheap, but only has USB2 and 100M ethernet.

Plug in a USB HDD and you have a cheap, very configurable NAS.

Reactions: Rdslw

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
I find this device interesting. I'm using a headless RPi to coordinated a number of Arduino Nanos all with nRF24 radios. The RPI though, connects to the network with WiFi, so that estimated $20 is bumped up by the cost of a micro-router.

Since this devices is designed to be headless, the OS has to come preconfigured for remote access. That could be tricky, particularly for a GUI. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't remote access programs like VNC use the video chip? So no GUI at all?

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
Since this devices is designed to be headless, the OS has to come preconfigured for remote access. That could be tricky, particularly for a GUI. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't remote access programs like VNC use the video chip? So no GUI at all?
It doesn't have a built in video output, but the SoC includes a GPU, so VNC should still run fine. Apparently it is also possible to fake a GPU on a linux system if required to run VNC.