games released on it since 2001. Seing as there's games newer than
that already in MAME, presumably it's not copyright concerns that are
preventing development, so what is it ?

On 2005-03-16, Baby Tom <babytom@gmail.com> wrote:
> The original NAOMI system is now more or less dead, with no
> games released on it since 2001. Seing as there's games newer than
> that already in MAME, presumably it's not copyright concerns that are
> preventing development, so what is it ?

It is copyright concerns. There are naomi derivatives, especially
atomiswave (a dc with a coin slot essentially), which are still very
much active. We do not need another neogeoish zero-day warez frenzy,
TYVM.

OG.

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 04:42:33 -0800, Baby Tom wrote:

> Is anyone working on emulating NAOMI hardware in MAME? I ask mainly
> because there's a working dreamcast emulator (chankast), which
> supposedly works at decent speeds on high end machines. Moreover the
> Guru's site mentions that he has dumped some of the NAOMI GD-ROMS.
>
> Chankast isn't open source, and may well not emulate to MAME's
> standards (in particular the system requirements imply it's using
> hardware 3d acceleration) but nevertheless it surprises me that no
> work seems to have been done, publicly at least, on emulating the
> NAOMI. The original NAOMI system is now more or less dead, with no
> games released on it since 2001. Seing as there's games newer than
> that already in MAME, presumably it's not copyright concerns that are
> preventing development, so what is it ?

MAME does 2d pretty well, but 3d horribly. I wouldn't mind someone
creating a similar arcade emulator that would take advantage of hardware
acceleration for a variety of arcade systems.

GregoryD

Probably because there are TONS of systems to emulate and ROMs to fill in.
Think about the different sega systems that are way older than NAOMI and are
just under way for emulation in MAME.
About 3D emulation, I don't think MAME is doing too bad, think about
emulation for sfex for instance.
It's just an optimization problem that will come out properly someday.

pan.2005.03.17.00.51.36.588450@hotmail.com...