• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Narrowed it down to GPU or PSU?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 10, 2020
Think either the two psu's can't handle the power draw of the new specs or the gpu might need an rma/swap. Needs swapping of parts to really know, and really good psu since the old gpu seems to work.
Alright heres a thought, can I use the second psu to just power the GPU? And then I can see if there is enough juice to stop restarting? Then if it still restarts its not a power issue?

Edit

Would I need to do anything besides plug the psu into the wall and the GPU?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020
Fresh start failed. Well the install went fine but still got a restart in the first game I tried.

Guess I'll try to hook the GPU up to its on PSU and see if it looks to be a power issue.

Edit: Event viewer and reliability are all same nonsense about not getting shut down.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Polypheme
Ambassador
Not really recommending using two psu's, but if you want to try make sure to connect the green and a black wire on the 24pin connector of the psu that wil power the gpu alone, otherwise will it not start. Would have this powered first before starting the pc.
Only connect those wires with the psu not plugged into the wall. He does it in this vid about testing a psu when not attached to anything,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

Can only hope it will prove something, but am not sure.

Jul 10, 2020
Not really recommending using two psu's, but if you want to try make sure to connect the green and a black wire on the 24pin connector of the psu that wil power the gpu alone, otherwise will it not start. Would have this powered first before starting the pc.
Only connect those wires with the psu not plugged into the wall. He does it in this vid about testing a psu when not attached to anything,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

Can only hope it will prove something, but am not sure.
Thanks! Yeah I definitely don't want to use two PSUs but I have them and before I take one back, pay the restocking fee, then find a decent one; it would be nice to try to narrow this down as a power issue.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS