[SOLVED] Narrowed it down to GPU or PSU?

Jul 10, 2020
Alright gang I've spent the better part of the morning running through these forums and troubleshooting. I think I have it narrowed down. Just want to confirm some thoughts with you all before I start buying or returning things.

I had prebuilt PC (I know) that I wanted upgrade. Fell into the trap of an upgraded CPU needs a new mobo, so get the GPU then too.

I have (had)
iBUYPOWER - Desktop - Intel Core i7 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 - White (original) https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypo...geforce-gtx-970-white/5005681.p?skuId=5005681

I put in

B550 plus -https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-B550-PLUS/overview/
Ryzen 3700X - https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-3700x and
RX 5700 XT - https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Thicc-2025MHz-Graphics-Rx-57XT8TBD8/dp/B07ZP5QZX2

I was initially
met with random reboots. Did a bunch of troubleshooting from these forums. Mostly settings, reseating things, driver updates, stopping auto restarts, stopping things from being able to make my PC restart to save power.

Today the restarts became more frequent in games, and then I tried using Kombuster and it restarted instantly. Made me think GPU.

So I put the GTX 970 back in and so far no reboots. I've run Kombustor stress tests on CPU and GPU and have had no issues. Tried non-graphic intense games as that is all i have downloaded so far.

So in my mind the older 600w PSU isn't giving enough juice to get the GPU rolling very long (likely?) or the GPU is bad (unlikely?)

I'm going to run the old GPU in a few intense games tonight and if it doesn't crash I think try to buy a new PSU and go from there?

Is my logic sound on this? I COULD have a cable or two not plugged in that were plugged in to the previous mobo, could that cause a short and cause this?

Thanks!

Solution
Not really recommending using two psu's, but if you want to try make sure to connect the green and a black wire on the 24pin connector of the psu that wil power the gpu alone, otherwise will it not start. Would have this powered first before starting the pc.
Only connect those wires with the psu not plugged into the wall. He does it in this vid about testing a psu when not attached to anything,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

Can only hope it will prove something, but am not sure.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You're already aware by now, but the companies behind most prebuilts do cut corners, and the psu is one of the most common:
The psu is only really adequate for the original hardware.

Plus, a gaming graphics card is the most stressful part of a PC the psu has to deal with, then there's the difference of power draw:
-the reference model GTX 970 has a max power limit of 160w.
-the XFX Thicc 3 Ultra has a max power limit of 230w.

Reactions: Badx2
Jul 10, 2020
You're already aware by now, but the companies behind most prebuilts do cut corners, and the psu is one of the most common:
The psu is only really adequate for the original hardware.

Plus, a gaming graphics card is the most stressful part of a PC the psu has to deal with, then there's the difference of power draw:
-the reference model GTX 970 has a max power limit of 160w.
-the XFX Thicc 3 Ultra has a max power limit of 230w.

Thanks, I'm going to track down a PSU tomorrow if I can. Damn things are hard to find in an actual store these days.

Cheers!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Damn things are hard to find in an actual store these days.
Aye, you've got Covid to blame for that. It put a wrench in just about all the supply lines, many of which start in China.
Some quick suggestions, if available:
650w or higher
Corsair TX, RM, RMX
Seasonic Focus, Core, Focus Gold, Focus Plus Gold
Bitfenix Formula
be quiet! Dark Power Pro, Straight Power
EVGA Supernova G3
Thermaltake Toughpower
Antec Neo Eco Zen
Superflower Leadex
Cooler Master MWE Gold

Thanks, I'm going to track down a PSU tomorrow if I can. Damn things are hard to find in an actual store these days.

Cheers!

They are hard to find online also especially for good models at a normal price, a PSU I bought about 6 months ago is $60 more expensive now. You can also try some used ones, I recently bought a pretty good quality PSU although at a high price for used was still better than what they are new and better quality than something for that price in a store.

Jul 10, 2020
Alright, got a new power supply hooked up. Threw the 5700 back in, updated drivers, random crashes are back. I try Kombustor or a game and it doesn't last very long. Thoughts at this point?

Could I have a bum GPU? I dont have another PC to test it it in so maybe take it to a shop to see if it works for them?

edit:

Now I'm more confused. Running stress tests and benchmarks on the GPU and it seems to be working?

But still had a random reboot or two. Hell one just happened after I restarted. Like I put my PW in to login, then it restarted lol.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020
While looking through all this i noticed my Ram is actually running lower than the 2400 it advertises. Is this normal? I've tried with only one stick and it seemed to go stable for a while. It may have restarted once but I didn't catch it.

They both say 2400 DDR4 on the outside but looking at windows command prompt data its shows them running at 2133 with both of them in.

Capacity=8589934592
Caption=Physical Memory
ConfiguredClockSpeed=2133
ConfiguredVoltage=1200
CreationClassName=Win32_PhysicalMemory
DataWidth=64
Description=Physical Memory
DeviceLocator=DIMM_A2
FormFactor=8
HotSwappable=
InstallDate=
InterleaveDataDepth=
InterleavePosition=
Manufacturer=A-DATA
MaxVoltage=1200
MemoryType=0
MinVoltage=1200
Model=
Name=Physical Memory
OtherIdentifyingInfo=
PartNumber=DDR4 2400 2OZ

Capacity=8589934592
Caption=Physical Memory
ConfiguredClockSpeed=2133
ConfiguredVoltage=1200
CreationClassName=Win32_PhysicalMemory
DataWidth=64
Description=Physical Memory
DeviceLocator=DIMM_B2
FormFactor=8
HotSwappable=
InstallDate=
InterleaveDataDepth=
InterleavePosition=
Manufacturer=Corsair
MaxVoltage=1200
MemoryType=0
MinVoltage=1200
Model=
Name=Physical Memory
OtherIdentifyingInfo=
PartNumber=CMK8GX4M1A2400C16

Jul 10, 2020
Yeah that's off. I haven't had a restart in a couple hours even though the even log shows an error in 4 hours...

View: https://imgur.com/Bkn4NZK

Is the opened portion I think you are talking about. Of note, below is what it says under the hardware one.

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 144
Parameter 1: 3003
Parameter 2: fffff985d7ef56b0
Parameter 3: 40010007
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_18363
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.18363.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033

Edit: adding pic

View: https://imgur.com/Q2XwJmC

Jul 10, 2020
So I don't want to call the ball too early here but i've been restart free no matter what I try for now.

I just dont want to keep you tied up with this thread.

Edit:

Now the fun part of actually doing the wire management and putting the case back together nicely. I think a couple fans need some power still.

Thanks for everything Phaaze.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020
Ok, keep us posted.

The other thing I had in mind was drivers - and since it was a prebuilt, that there was some 3rd party crap not agreeing with the new hardware.

Will do. I think all the third party is cleared away now. I replaced the ram back in the day so its really the case and the 128 gb SSD for windows lol.

Jul 10, 2020
Ok, keep us posted.

The other thing I had in mind was drivers - and since it was a prebuilt, that there was some 3rd party crap not agreeing with the new hardware.
So close...

I've tried to boot the computer last night. Instant spam restarts. I pulled a stick of ram, because why not, and it played pretty stable. I got on this morning and pretty stable again but I did get one restart.

Of note, windows did update something right before. Logs below.

View: https://imgur.com/muwqqqS

Jul 10, 2020
Did you do a fresh windows install?
Going from Intel to AMD needs a new fresh windows install.

Depends on how you qualify fresh.

I did do the recovery one where it re installs everything except your document type folders.

Think I needed to go full clean?

Edit
Screw it. Fill format and install

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Jul 10, 2020
Not a very good one and might have problems with the way the RX 5700 XT draws power because of older design.

How does it work with the gtx 970?
Worked fine with the 970. But so did the old psu.

Currently doing the full windows reinstall that randomly stops for hours.

If this doesn't work i can order a more legit psu. That was just the best in two hour driving range.