Question NAS build for small office

Imad__Aman

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
Hey guys,

Need to build a shared drive for data access by roughly 40-50, not too bothered by data loss

My best bet is a NAS system running freenas.

Im fairly decent at building systems though never have done a NAS before

Couple of quick queries
  • Is there a better alternative to drive share instead of nas
  • Do i need a network card?
  • Can i run Freenas without raid - basically as Jbod - dont wanna lose disk space with raid- dont need
  • Do let me know if the below list seems fine and if the number of accesses would be fine
Below is the parts list,

• MSI B450-A PRO/ Asrock X370 Pro4/ ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
  • Amd APU 2200g
  • Corsair lpx 16GB DDR4 Ram 2400 x2
  • Corsair RM1000x - ( overkill but need sata cables and this one is on sale and cheaper than lesser wattage psu )
  • Seagate 4TB IronWolf Pro 7200RPM x4
  • Crucial 120GB BX500 SATA III 2.5 -
  • NZXT H440 black - for the drive space

Aware of the ecc ram and intel recommendations for freenas systems, though would still want to go with amd and non ecc - parts be cheaper here

Thanks in advance

Imad__Aman

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
Yea, honestly the requirement is of data sharing, more than data redundancy.
as for the parts - as mentioned, the ecc rams are much more expensive here, as for intel - can go with it, but price wise amd is a better bet. have researched multiple forums for amd and freenas and non ecc rams - all seems to check out.

Though if intel is pushed heavily for this can move over to intel.

kanewolf

Titan
Cost shouldn't be the primary consideration. What is the cost when it doesn't work? You will have 40+ employees that have depended on a resource that is not available. What does that do to the productivity of those 40+ employees that are being paid. 1 day of and outage can cost way more than the delta hardware costs.

Honestly, you might be able to find a refurbished server on Amazon for example. I don't know if you could install freenas on that. But don't cheap out on something that will serve 40-50 people.

When your setup goes offline, and when someone has a file that the ONLY place they saved it was on your hokey server that YOU set up.... Who's neck is on the line? Just saying.... If you don't know what you're doing or don't care, let someone else do it.

I get aggravated with people I call tech cowboys who think they know more about technology than what they do and blindly do things without thinking. If you genuinely aren't sure on how to do some things, that's fine, but imo, a good tech knows when they about to get in over their head and stops.