NAS connection setup

ckn008

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
I have a NAS device
but i live in college which provides lan port in rooms
if i want to use nas and dont want others to access the data how to do it
if i buy a lan splitter and plug my laptop and nas through the splitter will that solve the purpose since i dont have an access to physical router?
and yes how to secure the data
as far as i know once in same lan whole college will be able to see the hard disk in network section

Dark antz1

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
Is this a prebuilt NAS system or one you built yourself. Most if not all NAS devices will have account settings where you can define access through a username and password.

A LAN splitter wont do anything because the IP is set by the router.A splitter just creates another Ethernet port from the port your connected to. You can create your own sub-lan if you want to completely cut-off your NAS but the easiest thing is just to create access restrictions.

ckn008

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013

This is pre built nas system seagate central 2tb
i wan to completely make it secure how about buying this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-Male-to-Ethernet-10-100-RJ45-Female-Network-LAN-Adapter-Card-Dongle-/301675626759?hash=item463d44c107
and connecting to laptop directly will it make it secure or your method of creating sub lan can u direct me thorough that would be really glad

McHenryB

Admirable
Connecting the NAS directly to the laptop, and not to any other network connection, will make it totally secure - as long as you don't leave it where someone else can connect when you are not there. But what's the point of a NAS in that case? You might just as well buy a much cheaper, and faster, external hard disk.

ckn008

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013

:-(
i knw but right now in college i dont want people to pry on it
once back home it can enjoy being a free bird :p
and please tell me how to connect it directly to laptop i mean steps do i buy the product i mentioned above from ebay and ya i read somewhere i need to assign some ip for nas to be detected by laptop n all how to do all that please guide me

Dark antz1

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014

This is basically an external hardrive with Ethernet support. It should have USB port on the back as well so you can connect it directly to your laptop. If you do it via an ethernet to USB converter you will probably reduce transfer performance.
Creating a sub-LAN (VLAN) you need to have some technical capability and I really don't think it would be worth it for your situation.

ckn008

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013

i have already connected the nas once through router when was at home
i read the steps it tells about the steps to setup nas for first time which i have done and have username and password
so what do i do just connect directly and use?
how to get two lan port on laptop?
do i buy that usb to ethernet thing?
i mean doesnt my laptop need to be connected to internet when connecting nas to laptop?
because we have only connection through lan and no wifi here so my laptop needs to be plugged in to the college provided lan port for internet
so if i need to connect nas i need another port

ckn008

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013

bro it doesnt have a usb port at back needs ethernet port only

Dark antz1

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014

Is it not this? It has a USB port on that one.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-STCG2000200-Central-Personal-attached/dp/B00BP5RJ76

ckn008

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013

bro that port is to connecct another usb powered hdd or pen drive to backup content from this nas device to other not to connect to laptop

TRENDING THREADS