Question NAS connects with wired connection but not wireless connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2023
I have a QNAP NAS with wired connection to a Hitron router. I cannot access the NAS over wireless connection with laptop. If I use a wired connection for the laptop
to the router everything works. When using the wireless connection I cannot ping the NAS but it is pingable from the router when logged onto the router management software.
I have tried with the laptop firewall turned off and the antivirus turned off. All other devices on the network are pingable over wireless, printer, other computers etc.
In the router management software I can use the "View connected devices" and the NAS is visible there.
My smart TV has a wireless connetion to the NAS and that works fine.
I have tried two laptops, one in Windows 10 and the other is Window11 , neither one can connect wirelessly to the NAS through the router. Router, NAS and computers have been rebooted multiple times during troubleshooting.

It all worked fine the last time I accessed the NAS a couple months ago.

Any ideas to try would be welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhonadam966
When you are on wireless have you tested what devices you can and can not ping.
My bet would be it is some idiot windows firewall restriction.

The NAS can not tell how your other devices are connected, it thinks everything is connected to a single ethernet cable.

The wifi connection on your laptop should also not care how other devices are connected. There is a option on wifi called wireless isolation...it can have other names on some routers...that can prevent communication but this is mostly between wifi devices not wifi devices and ethernet. The "guest" option does do that if you have it on. These setting are on each wifi radio so if the tv is using 2.4 and your pc is using 5 it might be different. I really doubt the wifi settings in the router are the problem but you might as well check.

Turning off the firewall should "fix" issues firewall.

What you might also do is a ARP -a. See if the IP of the nas is there. Now attempt to ping the nas. Even if it fails you should normally get a ARP entry. A firewall will block IP traffic but it is extremely difficult to block the response to a ARP request.

Reactions: jhonadam966
Dec 3, 2023
As a added thought have you check that you do not have duplicate IP addresses on some device.
Thanks for taking the time to help me. ARP did not see the NAS. The guest option on the Hitron router was off and there were no duplicate IP's. I had checked that earlier. I did find the problem as I was able to connect after turning the QUFirewalll off on the QNAP NAS. So there is some setting in the Qnap firewall that has changed, probably due to some update.
I just have to track down the particular setting. It's not making much sense at the moment but maybe when I find the particular setting, it will make more sense. Thanks again for the help, have a great rest of your weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.