[SOLVED] NAS drive or consumer drive?

MAT0S0

Reputable
Jul 2, 2016
I plan to get bigger storage for myself. So far I've been running off of a 240gb ssd for windows, 2tb hdd for games and some pictures and a 6tb external hdd for video file, pictures and other precious data. The external disk is starting to make noise and i have over 2tb of footage and files that need to be backed up on my pc. I'm the type of person who dedicates storage on my pc equally, the 2tb disk was separated into 1tb for games and 1tb for pictures and other school files i had on. That's why I can't just store files mixed between partitions, because I'd like to keep things in their own space.
So I plan to pick 2x 4tb drives, set them to raid 1 so that I can have 2 copies of files on each disk, in case one of them dies.
My problem comes with picking what type of drive to choose, and no amount of googling helps me with my scenario, since I believe it might not be as common to talk about.
I have a few games that I play, despite the fact that I don't game much I like to keep them on, in case i decide to give them a go. Games like gta 5, rocket league, monster hunter, skullgirls and some other less demanding titles. But I do a decent chunk of streaming and making illustrations. Pictures don't take up as much space as video footage does.
In that case, should I go with something like a Seagate Barracuda, or a Seagate Ironwolf. Would a NAS drive be a better choice for storing somewhat big quantities of files, and also be used for some light gaming, or would a regular consumer drive be better. I'd like to make sure I don't lose my files, but also not have to buy a separate disk, or use my current 500gb ssd as game storage, since it's used for windows and software for streaming and content creation.

I'm not picking any new external drives, as I've learned that they are not really meant for daily active use, and are more meant as a backup. A mistake I will not repeat.

I'd like to hear the opinion from a third party, because right now I feel like I should invest in the long term. I think I'd want to go for Ironwolf Pro's since I'm not a speed freak, I'd just like a bigger solution for storage, but again, I don't know what to pick.

Solution
Ironwolf or Barracuda.
In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter for your single instance.

Reliability stats are probably within a percentage point or two, spread across a fleet of hundreds or thousands of drives.

Your one drive may be an outlier, on either end. May die next month, or may last two decades.
Or it may live its natural life, and die just beyond the manufacturer warranty time limit.

USAFRet

Titan
"So I plan to pick 2x 4tb drives, set them to raid 1 so that I can have 2 copies of files on each disk, in case one of them dies. "

RAID 1 is not a backup.
It is only for uptime in the event of physical drive death. There are far more common ways to lose data.

MAT0S0

Reputable
Jul 2, 2016
"So I plan to pick 2x 4tb drives, set them to raid 1 so that I can have 2 copies of files on each disk, in case one of them dies. "

RAID 1 is not a backup.
It is only for uptime in the event of physical drive death. There are far more common ways to lose data.
What would you suggest then?

USAFRet

Titan
What would you suggest then?
A real backup plan.

With a RAID 1, the OS and the user sees only one copy. If something gets accidentally deleted or formatted, it is gone.
There is no "second one on the other drive".

The generally accepted concept is 3-2-1.
3 copies, on 2 different media, at least 1 offsite.

My overall procedure has changed a little since I wrote this, but the basics are still the same.

Sounds complex, but could easily be reduced down to an external drive or two.

MAT0S0

Reputable
Jul 2, 2016
A real backup plan.

With a RAID 1, the OS and the user sees only one copy. If something gets accidentally deleted or formatted, it is gone.
There is no "second one on the other drive".

The generally accepted concept is 3-2-1.
3 copies, on 2 different media, at least 1 offsite.

My overall procedure has changed a little since I wrote this, but the basics are still the same.

Sounds complex, but could easily be reduced down to an external drive or two.
I intend to use my external 6TB drive as a proper backup now. I like your advice and will definitely use it, but that still doesn't help my situation, where I'm running low on storage on my main pc.
I kept using an external drive as a daily driver to access files and it started to make ticking noise, hence why I'll use it only for backed up storage, if even that, should I later get a new one. My problem is that for daily use, where I'll need to access files regularly, I'll need more than 1tb of storage. And I don't know if simply adding one extra drive would be enough, due to me liking to keep partitions seperate for their own purpose (that is why I don't mix game files with work files, I've gone trough enough of that mess)
My question is if I should go for NAS drives or consumer drives, in particular, if I should go for Ironwolf drives or Barracuda drives (I like Seagate).
The 2 TB disk will go to my gf's new pc, cause she needs something for games that isn't an AMD laptop with 256gb of storage, but that's not importiant. The main part is, what should I go for afterwards, the backup will come with it aswell.

USAFRet

Titan
Ironwolf or Barracuda.
In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter for your single instance.

Reliability stats are probably within a percentage point or two, spread across a fleet of hundreds or thousands of drives.

Your one drive may be an outlier, on either end. May die next month, or may last two decades.
Or it may live its natural life, and die just beyond the manufacturer warranty time limit.

Reactions: MAT0S0
Solution

MAT0S0

Reputable
Jul 2, 2016
Ironwolf or Barracuda.

Thank you for your wisdom! I appreciate it a lot!

TRENDING THREADS