NAS drive should I build my own or buy one?

abaday789

Honorable
Jul 4, 2014
I thinking about getting a NAS drive for use as a backup and cloud storage device. Thing is I'm not sure whether I should build my own or buy a standard consumer one. I would want the drive running with redundancy features in case of a drive failure.

If I was to build my own it would just be a SFF low power system most likely running linux with two HDDs running in RAID 1 in the event of a drive failure. Thing is I not too clued up on how to integrate it as a cloud storage device that I can access out of the home that would work like good drive etc.
This is where I'm possibly swaying towards something like a WD My Cloud Mirror type system.

Anyway what I would like to know is whether it first of all would be cheaper and more worth while building my own (I've build my own gaming rig)
second if it is can i have an example of a budget SFF NAS system please

Solution
I gotta say, the MyCloud is simple and effective - I have the 3TB single drive version used for all my media files. I have everything copied locally on a 3TB drive and I use the MyCloud to host that content on my LAN and remotely (WD app isn't perfect but it gets the job done). You can also daisy-chain another USB external drive to add storage if you fill it up which is a nice added bonus.

I also have a Synology disk station NAS at a remote office - it's setup in RAID-5 so it can take a failure without data loss and it also has several applications that can run on that device (FTP services, Torrent client, DNS, Time Machine storage target, etc.) including cloud storage access. They're not cheap by any means but the performance is...

game junky

Distinguished
I gotta say, the MyCloud is simple and effective - I have the 3TB single drive version used for all my media files. I have everything copied locally on a 3TB drive and I use the MyCloud to host that content on my LAN and remotely (WD app isn't perfect but it gets the job done). You can also daisy-chain another USB external drive to add storage if you fill it up which is a nice added bonus.

I also have a Synology disk station NAS at a remote office - it's setup in RAID-5 so it can take a failure without data loss and it also has several applications that can run on that device (FTP services, Torrent client, DNS, Time Machine storage target, etc.) including cloud storage access. They're not cheap by any means but the performance is pretty good all things considered. We're using the DS1515+ which has 5 disks, there are smaller and larger options available as well.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS