[SOLVED] NAS Drive to Internal Hard Drive?

Jun 5, 2021
Hi, I just pulled a WD "Red" 4TB drive out of my NAS and installed it into my computer, connecting it to the motherboard with a SATA connector. The drive shows up in BIOS, Disk Management, and Device Manager but not in Windows Explorer. When I right click on the disk in Disk Management all of the options are greyed out except "Delete Volume...."

Have I done something wrong or is it just not possible to have this kind of setup?

Solution
Shoot. It currently has about 2TB of files on it. The reason that I moved it to a SATA connection is because my NAS system no longer functions. My computer won't recognise it on the network and I've spent days online searching for every possible solution and even more days emailing the manufacturer's customer support back and forth endlessly with no fixes. I'm at a complete loss as to how to recover the data and I'm pretty worried.

Edit: I managed to find a software that will allow me to recover the data, which is the most important thing.
Boot a portable Linux OS.
Your only option within WIndows would be to delete the Volume, which if it came from a NAS system , there is a 99.9% chance it is some sort of Linux file system anyway (XFS or EXT3, etc.), unreadable from within WIndows. Once formatted within NTFS, it will be usable within WIn10.

Jun 5, 2021
Shoot. It currently has about 2TB of files on it. The reason that I moved it to a SATA connection is because my NAS system no longer functions. My computer won't recognise it on the network and I've spent days online searching for every possible solution and even more days emailing the manufacturer's customer support back and forth endlessly with no fixes. I'm at a complete loss as to how to recover the data and I'm pretty worried.

Edit: I managed to find a software that will allow me to recover the data, which is the most important thing.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan

Boot a portable Linux OS.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution
My apologies, I saw no references to wanting the data accessed/recovered from the drive in your initial posting...

There are numerous Linux Live distros to choose from...;as long as the drive was not from a NAS using RAID 0 or 5, it should be recoverable.

Edit: Within WIn10's built in Ubuntu VM/command line, Ian actually see all my attached drives when doing the command 'df -h' at the prompt, so you might be able to get to your data from within WIn10's included Ubuntu VM shell (if you have it running as a feature)...

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021
My apologies, I saw no references to wanting the data accessed/recovered from the drive in your initial posting...

There are numerous Linux Live distros to choose from...;as long as the drive was not from a NAS using RAID 0 or 5, it should be recoverable.

Edit: Within WIn10's built in Ubuntu VM/command line, Ian actually see all my attached drives when doing the command 'df -h' at the prompt, so you might be able to get to your data from within WIn10's included Ubuntu VM shell (if you have it running as a feature)...

No worries. It was kind of a two-part question but I didn't mention the second part (about retrieving my data). I did manage to pull the data off of it and am now going to format it as you suggested. It's a 4TB drive, so I don't really want to just relegate to my spare parts drawer.

TRENDING THREADS